Overdrive switch ?

Smallfry

Gentlemen.........and Ladies. I would like your thoughts please.

Which type of overdrive switch is preferable.....and why ?

I had an old Sunbeam with the stalk on the steering column and this seems very right to me, but what do you think ? Is the switch on the gear knob better ? Or not.

I've not used o/d in anger with it on a stalk, but at least when it's on the gear knob you can knock it out of o/d as you go for the next gear direct gear at the same time, when using o/d to accelerate quicker this is. If you don't use it in anger much i'd go for stalk

I've found that in actual use - the only time you ever use an OD "in anger" is coming out of 4th OD and going in to 2nd/3rd. In fact if you are going in to 2nd then the inhibitor will take you out of OD anyway - leaving you to remember to switch it out at the next conventient time.

If you're really angry you don't use OD at all - as I find it screws up any rythmn you have with the car - unless you have an OD that switches in and out almost instantly - which they don't do (unless its an a-type). Even then you don't have control of engine speed when switching out of OD - or it doesnt change up as quickly as you can with a gear change. I should say my Canley J-type gearbox changes in and out really quickly - and it's still not really quick enough!

I've always used the overdrive as an accelerating aid, very neat change from 3rd to OD/3rd with foot flat on the foor, much quicker than shifting up to 4th.
I found the MkIV Spitfire's heavily cranked gearstick made the overdrive switch incredibly uncomfortable to operate, I could only switch it by sticking a thumbnail into the grooves in the switch, not comfortable when you've got short nails and leathery fingertips...... Not a problem with the more vertical gearstick of the Dolomites and 2000s, even the less cranked 1500 stick should be better.
The column switch is far slicker, even with the slow D and J types you can kick in the overdrive a second or so ahead of where you want it to operate when accelerating hard. With the column switch you don't have the inbuilt unreliability of fractured wires exiting the gearstick - I sell LOTS of gearstick wiring harnesses!
Cheers,
Bill.

Ah you can accelerate quicker with O/D! I find mines pretty instant as far as O/Ds go. I also know a chap who sucessfully uses O/D on the track. If you are going to use it as an accelerating aid I think it would be best having the switch on the gear knob, least you can keep a hand on the wheel instead of one on the gear lever and one on the stalk! Another possibility is one of those logic boxes. Steve

I run a works rally team toggle switch the gear knob on the GT6- very quick change and very ergonomic.

On the Grey 'un- I have a column stalk- find it as conveinent- suppose safer as both hands can be on the wheel to change gear.

Hate the late type o/d switches on top of the gear lever- wiring is infuriating.

[quote by=spitty71 link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1120172382,s=5 date=1120225724]I think it would be best having the switch on the gear knob, least you can keep a hand on the wheel instead of one on the gear lever and one on the stalk! [/quote]

Why would you need to take your hand off the wheel to flick the stalk, that's what fingers are for....
My wife Karen was never convinced about the benefits of a column mounted overdrive switch, having lived long term with a Spitfire 1500. Since owning a Mk1 2000 with column switch she has seen just how much better it is and doesn't want to go back.
Cheers,
Bill.

The Sixfire has it on the gear lever, the Vitesse on the column - I had both and always thought on the gear knob was more logical but I much prefer the column. I don't take my hands off the steering wheel and it's just a flick on and off - with a tweaked J type it's instant and very good for accelerating, as Bill says, floor it and drive on through.
The gear lever wiring is a wearing part that when worn through can cause some nasty fires unless you wire in a fuse. Having said that I did suffer a smokey dashboard once when the Herald misbehaved. That had a colum switch that I thought to be the poblem - it wasn't and despite being charred still worked fine!

Personally I prefer the stalk, I like the idea of being able to change gear with one finger!
I've got this on both the TR adnd the 1200. It's easy enough to co-ordinate gear changes with flipping it in and out once you've had a bit of practice, especially on the A-type with the pressure accumulator which is instantaneous. The D-type on the Herald is a bit more tricky as you need to predict how long it will take to build up oil pressure and pull in.
The great advantage is when overtaking, if you're on an A road stuck behind a slow moving TR7 or similar waiting for that elusive overtaking opportunity, just drop into overdrive 3rd and you've got instant revs available when you need them at the flick of a switch.

;D ;D

Keith

Excellent ! Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply.

As I said, I had a stalk on my old Sunbeam, and I found it no trouble at all to change gear and switch the O/D at the same time. The change was always intantaneous and very solid, even with my foot hard down, and I was always very pleased with it. I sat in Babe (the Herald) with the gear lever switch in place (Dolomite lever) and although the lever itself need shortening a tad, the switch felt a bit........not cumbersome but fiddly to use maybe ? I asked the question because I sometimes think that later "improvements" are not always better, if you understand what I mean ! The column switch feels so much better to me !

Column switch it is then ! But I won't get rid of the other one JUST yet.

The gearstick switch wasn't intended as an improvement, it was a cost reduction measure which allowed standardisation of components cross several different ranges. The same  basic switch components were used across the BL empire form about 1970. Before that there were several different flavours of column switch within the Triumph range, MGs had a switch on the dashboard, so there was plenty of room for rationalisation.
But the column switch was always better......
Cheers,
Bill.

Its a shame i cant fit the box out of my lorry in to the vitesse, 12 speed but you only have to move the lever four times, you only use clutch to stop and pull away, to change up you take your foot off throttle a split second, to change down you floor it.
take a bit getting used to at first but what a great box.
might be a bit big and heavy for the vitesse though  ;D

Ian 

Archived