garyf

I will be replacing some High Pressure fuel hoses on my TR this weekend and have decided while I'm at it to replace all the low pressure ones so I know that they are all new?

I've purchased some SAE30 R6 Hose from a local motor factor, I wanted R9 rated but they didn't have any in the correct 1/4" internal diameter, will this Hose be Ok with Modern Ethanol filled fuels?  

As you say, the R9 is the correct stuff but I've had good results with R6 in the recent past, even when it's been re-homed from scrapped cars.

The only place I've been able to buy R9 hose is online and I'm finding that the outer layer starts to crack after little more than a year though it doesn't leak or smell.  Whether a hose smells of fuel even though there is no visible leak is a quite a good guide as to how well it is coping.

Nick

I've found R6 degrading and cracking within six months. It may be an issue of manufacturing quality rather than the R6 specification, but I've had no similar problems when using R9.
My hoses came from two different sources so I won't pretend it's a direct comparison, either way I am left with a large quantity of R6 which I won't risk using.
Cheers,
Bill.

My R6 split within a year and was pissing fuel everywhere.

Some R9 I had split and was close to buggered in the same time frame.

The R9 I got from Clive who got it from Bill cracked within two months. I replaced it and cut the old open to check inside. Internally it was perfect.

Quoted from ferny

The R9 I got from Clive who got it from Bill cracked within two months. I replaced it and cut the old open to check inside. Internally it was perfect.

What on earth did you do with it? seems to be fine on my car, that is over a year and no problems that I can see.

Just hope it wasn't fake gates greenshield stuff... seems to be some iffy stuff about.

(and to be clear, the Bill referred to was not Rarebits Bill! The hose I got came direct from the USA)

Quoted from cliftyhanger

What on earth did you do with it? seems to be fine on my car, that is over a year and no problems that I can see.

Just hope it wasn't fake gates greenshield stuff... seems to be some iffy stuff about.

(and to be clear, the Bill referred to was not Rarebits Bill! The hose I got came direct from the USA)

It's behind the rear wheel under the car, so maybe its environment makes a difference. Either way, it's still fine inside, just looks scabby on the outside. I also found petrol dissolves the outer layer, leaving a black stain on your hands which lasts a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

R6 and R9 hoses both seem to made up of a number of layers.  And the outer layers don't seem to be made of very long lasting rubber on the R9 I've been buying.  Light surface cracking has appeared after less than a year.  No leaks or even odour so the inner layers are holding.

Certainly worth keeping a close eye though.

Nick