Just another...Mk1 GT6 restoration

daedalusminos

Well after an 18 year break I'm just about ready to continue the restoration of my 1967 Mk1 GT6!

Fortunately she's in better shape than the pictures suggest - the photos show the car coming out of dry storage where it's been for the last 18 years. I'd already started restoration by gutting the interior, removing glass and doors, replacing NSR wing (+ outer inner) and removing NS outer sill and replacing membrane.

One door had been replaced (with an factory original) not long before I purchased the car and has light surface rust along bottom edge, the other I re-skinned a californian frame, so only finishing required on those. The other work planned consists of replacing:

• other (OS) rear wing + outer inner
  • both sills (inner, outer and membrane)
  • boot floor
  • both floor pans
  • both front wings (inc. outer inner)

and repairing:
  • Front screen gutters
  • tailgate screen flange
  • chassis (but it might be bent!)

and...
  • recon engine (poss gearbox/diff)
  • new interior
  • etc etc

Where possible I'm using genuine panels and most of these were purchased 18+ years ago. However, I'm suspecting the front wings are pattern, but is there a way of telling...before I find they don't fit?

Another problem I may have is a bent chassis - the NSF wheel sticks out beyond the wheel arch more than the OS by possibly 15-20mm.

What an excellent project. I do hope you will keep us posted with pictures as you progress. There's a huge amount of expertise here so you've come to the right place.

One thing I do admire about your car is the excellent tailgate shut line. For me it's the matter of the moment and I'd be well pleased if I could achieve that on my project.