Uprated Wiring Diagram

John Bonnett

I've always been very concerned by the risk of electrical fires on our cars so I've made a big effort to reduce the risk by fusing every single circuit and fitting relays wherever there are high current loadings. A friend over on the TSSC site has very kindly taken my amateurish drawings and transformed them into a professional circuit diagram as a pdf. If it would help anyone I'll be delighted to share it and if you drop me a PM I'll send it as an attachment. I'm not sure how useful this screen shot is but might give an idea of what I've done.

Quoted from Hogie
Hi John,
           possibly not a good idea to have the headlights fused.

Roger

I'd be interested in your reasons Roger. As far as I am aware it's standard practice to fuse headlights. I'm actually considering fitting in addition, 10 Amp in line fuses into each of the headlight feeds so that in the event of a short only one would go out.

Hello Roger,

" possibly not a good idea to have the headlights fused."

Yes and no, a primary fuse before the relays needs to be over rated for the load, secondary fuses to each filament is what I prefer.

The main factor that should be kept in mind is good installation practice to reduce the chance of a short to earth to near nil, grommets where passing through holes, edge sleeving or better still don't run over steel edges, clip the cables/harness firmly etc, common sense really.

It's well worth fusing whatever you can - when I first had my 2000, I found I was losing overdrive and a few other things. At first I thought a fuse went because it was an exceptionally wet day so water could have got up to the gearbox switches. But it then happened three times in a row on a dry day. I then found out that the overdrive wiring was going round the edge of the gearstick surround, not through it, Repaired the wire, drilled a hole and put a grommet in for the overdrive stick wiring. 5 years later, not had an issue with it. Better safe than sorry!

I really should doo a full re wire on mine,
there are loadsa new wires going every where,
and all got their own  fused link  { inline }
plus relays every where.

thing is, I no whats what, but if i ever selt it, there be some serious head scratchin by new owner,
as never made a wire diagram.
and noo an then, I think, Wots this wire doo,!

Butt, well done John, youve made a dia for to use with car.
and for new owner to figure things oot easily.

M

Good that the circuitry has stimulated some discussion and thank you for the valid points that have been raised. It just shows how easy it is to miss the obvious.

I accept that a single fuse supplying the headlights could lead to a bad situation if it blew. So, my suggestion is to split the single feed to the main and dipped beam relays with the addition of another 25Amp fuse. This makes both main and dip independent and the loss of one will not take the other out as well. Or taking another step further duplicate circuits for left and right hand lamps could be included.

Hello all,

just another point in view of what Marcus said, which is to use the correct colours for modifications, at least you then know what circuit a strange wire is connected to.

50/60s Fords did not have fuses either. Chances of an earth fault should be virtually nil with a good installation.

Alec