Highback Seats Anyone?

Anthony

I've recently bought a pair of Highback seats from Ted Schumacher in America

The seats are a good price, but the price to ship them here is a killer!

Ted's said he's got a few sets of seats available, and could put a few sets in a container at the same time if anyone else wanted a set and wanted to split the cost of shipping them here

If anyone's interested in some Highback seats can you let me know, and we can get something sorted out

Ted's checking the seats to see which MK cars he has available

Let me know if you want a set, otherwise I'll be paying the shipping myself  :B

3106 wrote:
Keep in mind that foams for the high seat back seats are not readily available for sale.
I had my upholsterer fabricate something to augment the low back foams, which are readily available.

They are. :)

http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/triumph-gt6/model-154/seats/2773-products-2773/

I believe Leon Guyot (lordleonusa) gave them a pattern a few years back so that they could be made, although don't quote me on that.

Bradley.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys
There's one set of seats left

If anybody wants a set of Highback seats please let me know

I've searched for quite a long time to find a set
They don't come up very often, and by buying them all together we can split shipping costs to keep the costs down

PM me if you're interested

It looks like the center ones still have their original seat covers:  perforated vertical pleated inserts.
These are some of my favorite automobile seats.  It would be nice if they had actual headrests, but the high back & absence of shoulder bolsters makes them a dream for driving.

At the moment those seat covers look like saggy bags. Mine are being recovered at the moment and I promise you that with new foams they look good and are extremely comfortable. Unlike seats from other cars (MX5, MR2, MGF etc) they are designed to fit in the car, provide a perfect seating position and use the original runners.

Triumph got them right!

1903 wrote:
Yep. The centre ones have the original covers on them

The baggy looking ones have apparently been retrimmed, but haven't had new foams for some reason...
The others without the perforated pleated inserts look original to me, but from the 1971-72 MkIV "Federal" Spitfire rather than the GT6! I've got a pair just like them; fortunately, mine are a bit less baggy-looking!  ;D

herald948 wrote:
The others without the perforated pleated inserts look original to me, but from the 1971-72 MkIV "Federal" Spitfire rather than the GT6! I've got a pair just like them; fortunately, mine are a bit less baggy-looking!  ;D

Something new learned, Mr. Mace!  My December 1971-built GT6 has perforated vertical pleats - it is odd to consider that Triumph had a different production "line" for the same seats with & without the perforations.

rotoflex wrote:

Something new learned, Mr. Mace!  My December 1971-built GT6 has perforated vertical pleats - it is odd to consider that Triumph had a different production "line" for the same seats with & without the perforations.

The 1969 "Federal" GT6 seats were pretty much unique to those cars, as they still maintained the fixed seatback but had the built-in headrests. For the 1970 "Federal" models, GT6 seats gained the reclining seatbacks, similar to what was being offered in Federal Spitfires. I can't say for sure, but it appears that the highback seats were "commonised" between Federal Spitfire MkIV and GT6 MkIII, the only difference being that the GT6 had the perforated vinyl inserts. So not really that much of a difference in the later cars, unlike the earlier models. Either way, I'm sure whatever extra costs were justified in the fact that so much of production went to the States.