Elma fud

Hi all, l got around to looking at my wiper motor yesterday, l've already bought new spindles because they were corroded and sezed solid, took top off motor and the wheel and park looks ok but when l conected it to battery go no joy thinks it's corroded up.

My question is either can the motor be stripped down as it looks sealed :-/

Or does anyone out there have a usable spare with broken gear wheel that they want to sell so l can make a good one from the two?

Cheers
Rob

Took me about 3 hours, including re-spray.

It's not that straight forward and requires removal of circlips and it is a fiddle. I was keen to remove the old grease as it was very sticky in mine and impaired the working of the motor

Coil and brushes can be a fiddle to put back and taking the nylon gear out (white gear on spindle as shown) too. These are probably the most difficult parts, the rest is fairly straightforward...

I'd give it a 2 1/2 according to the Haynes Spanner Rating system (not used on old Triumph manuals)

Haynes Manual Spanner Rating:

One spanner rating.      An infant could do this... so how did you manage to **** it up?

Two spanner rating.      Now you may think that you can do this because two is a low, teensy weensy number . . . but you also thought the wiring diagram was a map of the Tokyo underground (in fact that would have been more use to you).

Three spanner rating.      Make sure you won't need your car for at least a couple of days.

Four spanner rating.      You're not seriously considering this are you?

Five spanner rating.      OK, if you must - but don't expect it to work, ever again.

As mazfg says, it's a bit of a fiddle, but work slowly and logically and it isn't too bad.

C.

was quite straight forward but you need a set of thin pliers to remove the cir clips and not have them launch aross the dinning room table ;).
Camila l think you'll find that the wiper arm spindle and the drive tube are seizing up and removal of these is more fiddle. As l mentioned my wiper spindles were seized soild and the drive in the tube was almost stuck aswell and neede a bit of WD40 to disassemble.

I've just got to clean all the old grease off and then put it back together :)