Indicators-sidelights or vica versa

Mac

On the early cars which way round were the indicators and sidelights originally fitted and which way looks best?

Indicators outside and sidelights inside, or side lights outside and indicators inside. All the pics in the manuals I have show (bar one) indicators outside, like this

But seen a lot o pics of spits with the lights set up with indicators inside (also in an old road test), like this

From a safety point-of-view, I'd say that indicators further out mean that other drivers are more likely to notice when you're about to make a turn.

Aesthetically, I suppose the sidelights directly below the main looks better to some people, but I actually prefer them slighly in...

My Spitfire 1500 has indicators on the inside - which is standard. However I can understand why some might prefer the indicators on the outside - sometimes it's safety, sometimes it's for looks. I prefer to keep mine as standard, had enough problems already with them!

David

Just don't do what a previous owner did to my old Spit (a Mk IV, so the lights were different, but the principle is the same) - they had indicator outside on one side of the car; indicator inside on the other side of the car. Now that does NOT look right. ::)

Archived