voltage regulator/dynamo

Mikeyvitesse

Evening all.  Been driving in really heavy traffic the last couple of days with lots of stop start and crawling along (I had waxoyled everywhere first I promise) when I noticed as I went to pull away from idling, the ignition light would flick on then quickly go out again. It kept doing it, basically whenever the revs went up from tickover. I heard a tick I think from the voltage regulator in the passenger footwell at the same time. It was night time with the lights on and heater going. As teh journey progressed the lights seemed to grow dimmer and even the indicators started to go slow.  Got home ok and the last couple of miles it seemed better, maybe because the traffic sped up a bit.

My immediate thought is the voltage regulator because of the 'tick'.  Voltage regulator is about 10 years old, I've read its not worth trying to fiddle with it, plus the plastic cover isn't designed to come off - presumably to discourage messing with it.  However it seemed my battery was discharging as I was losing power to the lights and indicator.  Its a nearly new battery (actually its about 2 years old but I've not had any trouble with it)

Are there any tests I could do with a multi meter? I own a multi meter but don't really know how to use it and confess to being rather clueless on the subject of electrics. Could it be the dynamo causing it?

Many thanks
Mike

we had the same problem very recently. tried changing the brushes but to no avail and got a new regulator which also didnt help. got a new dynamo and all is right as rain. the field windings inside the old dynamo were in a pretty bad way. it probably could have been reconditioned but was beyond our expertise.

• 2 weeks later...

i had the same problem with mine ,i drive mine to work everyday (0630) , i had to jump start it when very cold so i changed to a alternator (neg earth)  with electronic ignition very easy to fit and my car is much better now ,starts with no probs in the morning lights are brighter  :)