Vitesse electric fan

Martin M

Hi,

I´m filling the engine bay of my Vitesse restoration project (o.k. a conversion of a Herald Estate towards 2 ltr drive train). There is only room for the standard  blade fan on the crank OR an electric fan. In all my other cars (GT6 MK2 and Spit 1500) I have both and I´m very happy with that. 

What are your observations / experiences. What makes sense for a car that will be used for holiday tours, from time to time to commute to work , …...

Cheers ans Seasons greetings

Martin

p.s. I tried to use the search function , but … :( 

Either/or works fine. My first Vitesse had the original fan and never gave any problems at all. My current Vitesse has only an electric fan and also gives no problems (except when the coolant has leaked out but that's a separate issue). My GT6 has only the original fan and the only time I can remember it overheating was on the 2002 RBRR when the fan belt disintegrated.

I have an electric fan on my Vitesse, but only because the need for a trigger wheel for the EFI system meant there was no longer room for the engine driven fan.  

There really isn't much room for an electric fan....... but it is possible if you get the right one and that works fine too.  Of course, you also need the electrics for that.....

Nick

Yes theres examples of both set ups working well so the only differences I can see between the two are power consumption (hotly debated.....) and the possibility for an electric fan to run on after stopping the engine. I have mine set up like this and it does prevent the high temperature overshoot I was seeing when turning off the ignition after a higher speed run. It draws around 12A and my dynamo handles it fine although I do have a larger capacity battery fitted.

Should be fine.  You may find it gets a bit warm when driving fast (70+mph) on a hot day.  Mine (with uprated rad with extra tubes) does.  I think the problem is getting the air out of the engine bay fast enough to give enough flow through the radiator.  Not overheating as such, just running hotter than usual.

Nick

Ive recently found out that a lot of 'modern' cars have their temperature gauges controlled by black boxes which keep the needle artificially fixed in the mid position under all normal conditions. I think that explains why its perfectly ok for the reading to move around a bit on our cars.....

• 2 weeks later...

well the temperature of the coolant still fluctuates with load, speed and fan operation and the sensor correspondingly changes its output which is sent to the black box to be used to control the fuel injected and other things. However then the black box sends a different output to the temperature gauge - one that is constant unless the the original sensor signal goes outside a set range, up or down....