Electric fuel pump on a Mk1

Radders

I have an electric fuel pump to fit on my Mk1 saloon. I've read that the best place to have it is in the boot so it keeps cool.

However, with all the spares, tools, junk, etc that I carry on the rallies I dont really want it in the boot as I feel it would be prone to being knocked about.

Would it get too hot if mounted under the bonnet area? Has anyone else fitted one and if so where have you mounted it?

Suggestions welcomed. (sensible ones that is! :))

Underneath, tucked up as high as possible, somewhere near the diff?

Is there room for it along side the tank, between the tank and arch?

Otherwise bottom rear LH corner of engine bay doesn't seem to bad an option......  Always found mechanical pumps ok myself when using carbs.

Nick

I would agree with nick about mechanical pumps for carbs, the best are the original AC ones with the glass dome at the top. The etate came with an aftermarket one without the priming lever from 'the brothers', it never ran right until I swapped it for an NOS AC one and was hopeless if you ran out of petrol, so  best to avoid those ones!

Colin.

Hello Radders,

it depends on what type of electric pump you have if it is an S.U. pump. They are designed either to fit near the engine or near the tank and should not be fitted at the wrong end. If some other aftermarket pump, you may also need a fuel pressure regulator?

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Radders,

it depends on what type of electric pump you have if it is an S.U. pump. They are designed either to fit near the engine or near the tank and should not be fitted at the wrong end. If some other aftermarket pump, you may also need a fuel pressure regulator?

Alec

Hello Piman, it's a facet pump. I have the pressure regulator as well.