Toledo Man

I know some of you have fitted electric fans in place of the engine driven ones. There's a thread on that subject the TDC forum http://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19017 so I thought I'd start a thread on here in a similar vein.

What I want to know is where would you place or where have you placed the sensor? Acclaims have electric fans with the sensor at the bottom of the rad. This setup has worked for the last 30 years without any issues so I would fit the sensor at the bottom if I were to fit an electric fan on my Dolomite.

What are your thoughts/comments?

i have fitted an electric fan to my GT6 and have used the voltage from the temperature sensor thats in serial with the the temperature gauge. The signal comes from the water temp sensor that is the top of block and is measuring the water temp as it leave the engine as it goes to the radiator
I have built a small cct around a PIC processor that monitors the voltage (that is proportional to the water temperature ) then  controls the fan on and off.
Seems to work well.
regards
mike

Depends on what temp the sensor switches on at, the alloy housing and switch I got from ebay specified in the instructions that it must be installed in the top hose to come on at the correct time. Not sure if you saw it last time I had the Spitfires bonnet up at the Black Bull? This is where I got it.

Presumably the return water temperature needs to be a fair bit lower than the thermostat temperature, and yet I've only seen 80/90/100'C switches. What sort of return temperature should we be aiming for ... and anyone know where I can get something suitable with an M22 thread?

I like the idea of the fan speed controller, although a MICROCHIP - TC642 might be persuaded to perform the same function as a PIC controller if you haven't got the software skills.

Cheers,

Richard

3314 wrote:
Presumably the return water temperature needs to be a fair bit lower than the thermostat temperature, and yet I've only seen 80/90/100'C switches. What sort of return temperature should we be aiming for ... and anyone know where I can get something suitable with an M22 thread?

I like the idea of the fan speed controller, although a MICROCHIP - TC642 might be persuaded to perform the same function as a PIC controller if you haven't got the software skills.

Cheers,

Richard

Yep the TC642 would work but the fun is in writting the software for the PIC and then you can add 'features' LEDs etc etc!
I dont what the correct temperature should be but I have set mine to start the fan at 89C (the smith gauge 'normal temp' when the needle is vertical is 90C) and turn off at 85C. Its adjustable so I can play around with the settings.
I do also have the important bypass everything FAN ON switch!

Mike

Hello all,

this is fine for all you electrickery bods out there but it is onl;y a fan and really should only be running to suplement forward motion air flow, i.e slow running\idle. The thermostat controls the engine temperature. In other words, simple thermal switch on and off.

Alec

Archived