Fitting HiSpec Princess Calipers - some answers

Paul318UK

Hi,
I have asked several questions and seen a few discussions about fitting princess calipers to spitfires and what combination of bits are needed.

I have taken the plunge and can update you with some facts and what I have left to do.

I have bought standard GT6 discs, they bolt directly onto the spit hub.
I have bought HiSpec 4 pot ultralights, they bolt directly onto the spit uprights giving the correct radial position (pitch diameter).
With EBC 'black stuff' new pads (best for 'cold' road use) the rear pad fits exactly, caliper pistons fully home.

Unresolved bits:-
I bought 12.7mm disc width calipers and I have yet to speak to hispec to check if I got sent the 10mm ones by mistake but currently there is not enough space to slide in the front shoe. This is not an alignement issue, the rear is perfect and the gap between pads fitted off car is only 9.6mm! So either black stuff are extra thick or I have the 10mm calipers. What I can say is that for the front calipers to slide in and everything be perfect 22mm is the correct caliper spacer dimension on 13mm wide gt6 discs.

I have yet to buy hoses and get an exact size but I do know you will need shorter ones, probably 250mm as the connection is ouit the back rather than off the top of thew caliper,

Paul

jcarruthers wrote:
When I bought pads from HiSpec they told me that the EBC ones are usually wayyy too thick to start with.

Yes I have since spoken to Hispec. Whilst the pads are thick this actually helps me every other way as it gives the correct rear spacing to disc from mount. It may be when using thinner pads that people use the GT6 upright?

Hispec are going to machine me some 22mm spacers (not 22mm disc ones as these are 22 +1.5 +1.5 (25mm). This will give perfect spacing to centre the 13mm GT6 disc using Spit uprights.

I can confirm that 12" hoses are the correct length when using a 90deg banjo fitting on the caliper

It'd be interesting to hear how you get on, with regard to brake performance and 'feel'. The HiSpec calipers look pretty good value compared to getting the originals refurbished. I'm unclear about the best option regarding master cylinder bore size and or the use of a servo

The calipers have a thick anodise finish so they shouldn't oxidise I hope. They should be stiff enough as they won't see the forces most servo applications will put them under.

I am hoping I am OK with the GAZ as I am intending to stay close to standard ride hieght and I have put on 300lbs 10.5" springs with a 6mm spacer.

Archived