Lord Sorbington

Will need to change the pads on the 2000 soon, may try the EBC greenstuff ones for a bit of extra stopping power.

Weird, but in all my years of motoring I've never changed brake pads!!  Looks easy enough but any tips? Am I likely to need new split pins, retainers etc?

Where should I apply grease to prevent squealing? (don't worry, still talking about the brakes!)  

Apart from making sure the pistons move freely in thier bores, is there any other maintainance to be done apart from giving the calipers a good clean?

Sorbs you should find it one of the easiest jobs going I use Greenstuff pads and find them very good on and off track.
Just a smear of copper brake grease on the piston ends if you wish (I have never bothered).
Make sure when you carefully push the pistons back that the displaced fluid does not flow out the top of the reservoir and all over your paint.
When you have put one side in press brake pedal to close pistons on to disc.
Then do other side and press pedal before driving, I failed to do this when I lived on a hill and had no brakes until I had pumped them a couple of times.
Inspect your pins and replace them if they are crud.
Good luck.

Nothing magic about 'green stuff' pads, they are just a different material.   EBC, like every other manufacturer of brake pads/shoes offers such a range, to meet different applications & needs.    

For instance, Mintex offer four types in their F range (http://www.mintexracing.com/frm/index.htm)  and Ferodo three in their DS range(http://www.mintexracing.com/frm/index.htm)   These are hitech, hiprice products.  Mintex 1155 pads are cheaper than green stuff (I think, unless prices have gone up - I have a new set to pick up this week) and are fine for road & track.

John

I'm not very hard on my brakes, but I am a Mintex 1155 convert.
Nice, progressive stopping and I've not experiance any fade yet.
For some reason it does say 'Not suitable for use on publc highway'
on the box, but I'm probably not either.

You will be surprised how many sets of decent quality asbestos brake pads are still in circulation at autojumbles. The more popular Girling types aren't so common, but I've seen plenty of branded sets for 2000s over the last few months. No-one will sell these to you mail order, but there has been a dispensation to allow part time jumble traders to sell asbestos products.
I would fit asbestos pads every time if available,
Cheers,
Bill.

I've got the Greenstuff pads and I've got to say I fall into the 'not that impressed' category - they do seem to fade quite easily in my experience and I don't exactly nuke my brakes. I'm planning on going for Mintex pads next time. Dosen't bother me that they say 'not for use on the public highway' as my master cylinder came in a box with something similar written on it!

Archived