Ron

An old chestnut, I'm afraid.

Trying to get the rear hub off my Vitesse, how tight do you reckon it should be? 'Tight', 'Very tight', 'Extremely tight', or 'Almost impossible to get off tight'?

Mine is 'Almost impossible to get off tight'.

My torque wrench is at the maximum (110psi) and it won't shift it, I think I'm going to have to invest in a big long breaker bar in order to be able to get the leverage to turn the bolt on the hub puller sufficiently to crack the hub.

Is this about right, any advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers

1156 wrote:
Trying to get the rear hub off my Vitesse, how tight do you reckon it should be? 'Tight', 'Very tight', 'Extremely tight', or 'Almost impossible to get off tight'?

Hmm   FT  :X

Scaffold pole over a Breaker bar   :-/

1156 wrote:
An old chestnut, I'm afraid.

My torque wrench is at the maximum (110psi) and it won't shift it, I think I'm going to have to invest in a big long breaker bar in order to be able to get the leverage to turn the bolt on the hub puller sufficiently to crack the hub.

Is this about right, any advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers

" 'Almost impossible to get off tight'?"

sometimes a bit tighter than that

"I think I'm going to have to invest in a big long breaker bar in order to be able to get the leverage to turn the bolt on the hub puller sufficiently to crack the hub"

yes, that's the way to do it.

Flemming

1156 wrote:

I wouldn't recomment using a Torque Wrench to REMOVE a nut.  

The nut has to be tightened to 110lbs so removal after a few years with rust etc it will be much more to undo.

One method I used with success was to jack up the car and use a strong wrench with one end securely supported on an axle stand.  Then by lowering the car from the jack, the car goes down and the axle stand stays fixed, thus causing huge torque on the nut causing it to turn slightly.  Once it is free a 'normal' wrench should free it.  Of course it goes without saying that all tools should be strong.  I have has a couple of breakages using cheap tools...and not just the tools.   A short scaffold pole uver the end of a wrench can be used effectivly.

Archived