Another Rear spring question...

Josh

Hi all, and happy new year!

For christmas santa brought me an up-rated rear spring with 1" lowering block and spax adjustable dampers,  i know, me and the big man are tight ;) anyway, is it possible to change the rear spring without dropping the prop, diff, and drive shafts or is it a case of lowering it all down swapping the spring then mounting it all back in place again?? Basically all i want to know is, is there an easy way!!

Cheers

Open the boot and remove the plate in the centre of the "hump". This will give you access to the bolts holding the spring to the diff.
Jack it up and get the wheels off.
Remove the bolt holding the top of the dampener.
Undo the bolt in the spring eye.
Undo the bolts holding the spring to the diff.
Wiggle out.

Depending on what else you want to do (bushes, brakes, etc.) and how easily the rest plays along that should be all the need to do.

I did mine last week I swapped out a standard Vitesse spring for a swing spring.

I had to take the studs out of mine on the one side as the straps holding the spring together are to wide and will not pass through the gap between the studs.Also if you are replacing a fixed spring with a Swing spring don't forget to blank the two middle holes on the diff !

7499 wrote:
I did mine last week I swapped out a standard Vitesse spring for a swing spring.

I had to take the studs out of mine on the one side as the straps holding the spring together are to wide and will not pass through the gap between the studs.Also if you are replacing a fixed spring with a Swing spring don't forget to blank the two middle holes on the diff !

Ha my memory ain't too bad after all  ;D

going to give it a crack this week, went around all the nuts and bolts yesterday and gave them a good spray with some lube and just started to undo them so i know none of them are seized. shouldn't be to bad of a job now i know how! ;)

On the subject of rear springs, I fitted a swing spring to my Herald based Midge using the Spitfire spring given that the Midge is lighter and has limited carrying capacity. I now find that I have increased positive camber compared to the standard Herald spring that preceded it. I guess I could fit a lowering block to reduce the positive camber (which remains an option), but has anyone any ideas why this has happened?

We used to have this problem then rallying the Heralds and Vitesses, after swapping around the springs it was obvious that there were different spring heights and working pressures and this would make the rear wheels tuck under, (which we so aptly called the 'Bandy Leg Syndrome')
We were able to have the spring straightened or remove some of the leaves to reduce the height, sometimes with this procedure we would turn one of the leaves upside down as well. The ride height would look better and cornering just as hair raising  ;D
You had to be going somewhat  though to make the corning scary.