Rear Spring - How much wear is too much wear?

Straight Six

I replaced the soggy rear spring on my rotoflex Vitesse a couple of years ago with a better second hand one (funds were tight at the time). I determined that the replacement spring was in better condition by the highly scientific method of bouncing up & down on each in turn and seeing which one had more ‘give’. The replacement also sat higher and sure enough, once fitted to the car it tightened the back end up a bit.

However, this spring has large steps on the top of the three longest leafs where the leaf on top has worn into it (I hope that makes sense). The steps are about 2 – 3mm deep.

Does this mean the spring is worn and in the never ending quest to try and reduce body roll in my Vitesse, does this wear affect spring performance?

Thanks.

SS,

2 - 3mm sounds like alot given that the spring leaves are only about 8mm thick anyway.

It also tends to suggest that the spring has lost the rubber buttons fitted between the leaves or maybe that it is an aftermarket replacement that never had them.

In either case, this much wear (especially if it is forming any sharp edges) would have me worrying about spring breakage.  Could well be worth investing in a new spring or a good second hand one.

If a second hand one, before installing it, dismantle it, clean it all up, check rubber buttons are still present and reassemble with grease between the leaves.  They work so much better when greased!

Incidently, one of the best mods for the rear of a roto Vitesse is to chuck out those horrible lever arm dampers and get the damper bracket extensions and some decent telescopics (Koni or AVO).  Transform the car!  Also helps if all the bushes are working as they should be.

Cheers

Nick

To add to Nick's excellent commentary.  I've often heard of disassembling the spring and inserting strips of teflon or nylon between the leaves to improve the action.  Same job as the grease without the mess.  Any local industrial supply or bearing house should have the materials for you.

Archived