Rear springs sagged

Dion

When I drive alone in the car, all is fine.
When the complete family is in the car, even on a small bump it bottoms out.
Car is a 75 2500 Mk2 (TC). Because of having the lpg tank in the rear, I would prefer stronger springs. Any ideas?

cheers
Dion

My prefacelift (therefore quite low) mk2 has never bottomed out, even 4 up with luggage so you may need new springs & dampers.  Worth a quick look at the bodywork before ordering parts though.....

Just ordered uprated front springs & struts for mine, Chris Witor was very helpful in choosing the right ones.

[quote by=sorbs link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1180967694,s=3 date=1180980888]My prefacelift (therefore quite low) mk2 has never bottomed out, even 4 up with luggage so you may need new springs & dampers.  Worth a quick look at the bodywork before ordering parts though.....

Just ordered uprated front springs & struts for mine, Chris Witor was very helpful in choosing the right ones.[/quote]

All the previous saloons I had had weak rear springs - bottomed out.
Mk1, pre facelift Mk2, 75 Mk2. I remember my father's Saloon had weak springs too (77 2500TC).

Dampers and bodywork are okay, I will need new springs. I raised this topic to ask if someone would know, or had experience, to what springs could be recommended. For example - would Estate springs work?
I indeed do not want to end up with a jacked up appearance or very harsh ride!
Maybe Chris Witor will know.

Thanks
Dion

Dion

Dunno if this will help at all ... at this end of the world it's a bit dear to get heavy stuff posted. Whatever the springs I chose were they do an excellent job. I had a similar problem to you, but since then I've had the car fully loaded with people and luggage and nowhere near bottoming out!

http://greeksinoz.blogspot.com/2006/08/springtime-for-bob.html

The flipside is that the nose is aiming a bit low now.

All the rear springs offered by Chris Witor are excellent and rates of up to 575 are not too harsh if all the other bits are in good nick...ie bushes and subframe mounts..

Remember that ovalled subframe bolt holes and worn original bushes will lead to a sagging back end regardless of spring rate

MikeyB,

The INTF (intermediate, semi fast road)160 springs are for the front - 160lb/in compression as opposed to the standard ones which are 129lb/in on a pre facelift mk2.

I hope they're good, as I have a set of rebuilt CW front struts with the 160 springs ready to go on my car!!, arrived today.

From what I can gather, 395lb/in springs are a good compromise on the rear, I think 277was standard issue

Oh yes, it was nice to see my new springs are properly finished, in a tapering wedge at each end of the coil.  Lots of modern springs aren't finished like this which is apparently why they break so often.

Seems everyone I know with a modern car more than 4 years old has had a spring break at some point!

A bit embarassing maybe, well it shows how age influences (my) memory...
Back in 2000-03, I drove a Mk1 2000 with Mk2 rear suspension. I investigated a bit and came up with the following list:

Front
90 lb/in    2500S
129 lb/in  std Mk1/2
160      std PFL, 0,5" lower FL
160      std FL
160      0,5" lower Intermediate Semi Fast Road
180      1" lower Fast Road
200/400  1" lower Fast Road / Race

Rear
260      std Mk1
277      std Mk2
428-433    std Estate
395      std Mk1, Mk2 lower 3/8"
395      std Mk2 PFL
395      std Mk2 FL
410      1" lower Fast Road
520      std Estate PFL
520      std Estate FL
575      std (for towing etc.)
575      5/16" lower
575      1" lower Fast Road

So that more or less answers my own question :B
I think the above the **** are the standard springs, and below the springs available now (2003). From Chris Witor possibly.

I will try the 395 springs, they seem a good intermediate spring. 

Archived