Vitesse Vented Disc Clearance

MarkB

Fitted the front suspension to my Vitesse restoration the other day and fitted the steering rack this morning. I had some Capri discs machined a year or so ago and now i've bolted it together i have clearance problems between the track rod end and disc. It's dawned on me that I need to space out the steering arm to gain a few mm. Hopefully it will create enough space to miss the rod end and gaiter. I was going to use a couple of washers between the arm and vertical link. Has anybody done this conversion and whats the best was to try and solve this problem. Any advice appreciated. Another problem is with the polly bush rack mounts. As I go to tighten the clamps they are tending to tip off the polly bush. They are the harder grade so that may be the problem. I had a look at my untouched GT6 that looks like the rack has never been off and they tend to be tipping off the rubber bushes but doesn't look as bad as the polly bush ones.  

Thanks for the replies. I'll try a couple of washers at each end and also trial fit the callipers and see how it looks. May have to find a longer bolt that screws into the steering arm. I like the idea of machining the Hub but as I can't do it myself it starts to get expensive. I understand what you mean John, the gaiter is going to be close even with the spacers. I am not using a back plate so maybe the heat will dissipate quicker.  I'll have a go in the morning.

Cheers

I got away with just spacing the steering arms on my GT6 and leaving the backplates off.

I have just got a new pair of trackrod ends, mine are now worn. they were OK 12 months ago.

Can't see it being a heat related issue but you never know!

Oh the biggest improvement in my braking came after my brakes were modified and I fitted stickier tyres allowing me to take advantage of the better brake setup.

Not as clean as yours ;)

Are those 2.8 Capri discs? I just got back from my lock-up and spaced out the steering arm by a couple of mm but when the track rod end is bolted up the gaiter compresses and is just brushing the disc. I was considering filling a couple of mm off the steering arm to gain a bit more clearance but I feel I am at the top of a slippery slope and may cut my losses and go for Saxo Discs as discussed on the other thread. Peed off because I paid out a year or so ago to have spacers made so they are a tight fit on the hub and to have them drilled out to the correct PCD.  I will have to space the calliper as well to centre it on the disc as its failing it at the moment.

Cheers

93 wrote:
Are those 2.8 Capri discs? I just got back from my lock-up and spaced out the steering arm by a couple of mm but when the track rod end is bolted up the gaiter compresses and is just brushing the disc. I was considering filling a couple of mm off the steering arm to gain a bit more clearance but I feel I am at the top of a slippery slope and may cut my losses and go for Saxo Discs as discussed on the other thread. Peed off because I paid out a year or so ago to have spacers made so they are a tight fit on the hub and to have them drilled out to the correct PCD.  I will have to space the calliper as well to centre it on the disc as its failing it at the moment.

Cheers

Yes they are 2.8 Capri discs.
I got away with putting a couple of washers behind my steering arms (don't forget if you do that you will need to reset the front wheel alignment (tracking).

Quote:
Yes they are 2.8 Capri discs.
I got away with putting a couple of washers behind my steering arms (don't forget if you do that you will need to reset the front wheel alignment (tracking).

Yes I've refurbed the rack and mounts, fitted a canley top wishbone, so all the tracking camber etc will need to be set. I may not give up on the 2.8 discs just yet as I know people have been fitting them for years to our cars. Looking at the gaiter on my track rod ends they seem to be on the large side compared to the ones on my GT6 so that may be part of the problem. Thanks Uksnatcher for the link maybe a possibility. I know a miss is as good as a mile and the actual rod end is missing the disc by a couple of mm just looks tight  ??) I will have to use a couple of shims on the calliper mounts, only a couple of mm to stop the disc hitting the calliper. I suppose to me it feels like a bit of a bodge, and if the saxo discs are a closer fit it could be a tempting alternative. I am sure there must be variations in the quality of the 2.8 discs and the one's I bought were repros and not a ford part. This may be adding to my problems.

Cheers

Not much help but my track rod ends are only a 2 or 3 mm away from the disc,

Also I did not need to space the caliper to sit correctly on the disc.

If you need any more detailed pictures I can take some better ones for you of the areas you are interested in?

Hi tiggrr1,

It would be useful to see how close your track rod end is to the disc and size of gaiter, and how much room you had for spacing the steering arm. I was only able to fit one washer each end before it made contact with the inside of the casting of the vertical link. This is why I was considering filing a mm or so off the steering arm to enable me to add another washer.

Cheers

Blue,

I took some pictures at work last night but I left my mobile phone at work  :B

I'll nip back later after dropping my little girl at school but probably won't post the pics until this evening.

Need some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's  ;)

Hi blue

Sorry I have not had a lot of sleep today and my phone is not cooperating (i'll find a way to get the pics off tomorrow)

Basicaly stripping it down yesterday I had spaced out the track control arms with 2 washers, around 4-5 mm and fitted slightly longer bolts as a precaution.

Also I said that I had not had to space the caliper, that was a great big fib (must be going senile).
I have used one thick spacer washer of around 7-8mm and fitted new bolts about 1/4 to 1/2" longer as the old ones were not really long enough to be safe, (only into the upright by a few threads).

Again sorry for the lack of photo's today, Me and my phone are going to have a fight tomorrow  :)

No probs Tiggrr

I had came to the same conclusion regarding the calliper bolts not being long enough. By the time I put a spacer in, bracket for the brake pipe & spring washer there's only a few threads as you say going into the upright. Next question, what bolts did you use as I believe the bolts are rated for that purpose. I've probably got longer bolts that will fit but not sure if they are the right rating. Maybe going OTT though. I haven't got enough room between the steering arm and the casting of the upright to fit more than one washer about 2mm so may well have to resort to filing a nats off the arm as mentioned earlier. There is some differences in the gaiters fitted to some racks I have, where one in particular is nice and narrow which would move it a couple more mm away from the disc. The other thing I noticed is that the spaced calliper is getting mighty close to the hub. I haven't bolted anything up tight yet, but everything is so close. It will either rub on the hub or miss it by at nats cock  :o  A couple of pics using one and two washers to mount the calliper. I think it's going to be halfway between the two.

Cheers Blue

Ok as promised here are some more pics (not as badly rusted as it looks the sodium lamps and phone camera make it look really bad)

This one shows how close the track rod end runs to the disc, note the rubber gaiter runs closer than the metal of the balljoint.

This one shows the thick washer I used to space the caliper.

The next two show the two washers between the steering arm and the upright, you should be able to fit in more than one washer if you turn the trackrod end a little further onto the steering rack.

This is with the new ball joint fitted, similar clearance to the old one. Just a different angle.

Are you planning to go to the Triumph show at Stoneleigh this weekend? If so you could take a closer look as I'll be there with the GT6  :)

It looks like you are very close to getting it to fit. It will go with a bit of fiddling with different bolts and washers/spacers.

Blue

I have just replaced this setup with a big brake kit so i know your pain.  Yes space the steering arm (i used the standard bolts)  Yes space the caliper (i used standard bolts)  The rubber boot on the track rod end will move away from the disc a little more when you compress the suspension but it looks like you haven't spaced the steering arm enough.  When i did mine i had about 1 thread sticking out of the nut on the bolt that goes all the way thru the steering arm.  This looks like it is all a bit risky but rest assured i have done 2 track days and went to Le-mans classic in it last year with no issues.  The caliper runs very very very close to the hub in fact when i painted my calipers it rubbed the paint off!!  but the caliper doesn't touch the hub.  

I drive my GT6 like i stole it all the time!!  I thrash it within an inch of it's life!!  If this setup wasn't OK then i would have found out the hard way.  Don't worry too much just make sure nothing touches

Cheers
Tim

Thanks Tiggrr1

I really appreciate you taking the time and making the effort in posting the pics, and good to see you made it work. It just confirms that things are going to be tight using this conversion, and not just down to the parts I am using, so thanks again. Thanks Tim for your reassurance, I'll stop whining now and get on and make it work. :)

Cheers

Blue

Archived