Fitting Superlite/minilite type wheels

Raider

Standard (no pun intended) Triumph PCD - they were all the same but I can't bring to mind the dimension - I am sure someone else will!

Size should be 5.5J - 13 fitted with 175/70R13 tyres (best make you can afford).

Here's my Toledo fitted with nearly this - actually 6J 13 and 185/70R13s as I just swapped the wheels over from my TR7 for a while

Depends on the offset of the wheels. I had revolutions with 185/60-14s on my Sprint for a while and they rubbed on the rear arches. They had a backspace of around 100mm whereas a standard sprint alloy is narrower but has more backspace at 116mm. In other words, wider wheels and less backspace made them stick out by around 30mm.

They look nice though, and a TDC member used to have 14" minators on his sprint. Ask xvivalve on the TDC forum as he now owns the car.

David

Depends on the offset of the wheels. I had revolutions with 185/60-14s on my Sprint for a while and they rubbed on the rear arches. They had a backspace of around 100mm whereas a standard sprint alloy is narrower but has more backspace at 116mm. In other words, wider wheels and less backspace made them stick out by around 30mm.

They look nice though, and a TDC member used to have 14" minators on his sprint. Ask xvivalve on the TDC forum as he now owns the car.

David

yes it looks good in the pic doesn't it! this was taken before the 2006 RBRR, whic it completed without missing a beat. it normally sits lower than this too, but we adjusted the spring seats up, because three blokes, tools and spares causes havoc with the underside on the scottish lanes!
Geof, what about a set of gt6 5.5j steels? i had thes on my tolly last year before the sprint alloys!

i've never really been a fan, although raiders tolo looks mighty fine IMO.

dont like them on dolos, but strange how they look much better on a tolo.

main reason for me having them is they're superlights (magnesium) and they have nice tyres, all new...

;D

woooooaaaa.  nutters. like that vid, reminds me of A level chemistry.

ta for concerns anyhoooo.  

was it highlander?  "its better to burn out than fade away" (haha)

ive been told they're magnesium, they're 13x6j and ex "alg1k", and costing me barely more than the tyres.

i'm still having them anyway.

as for 140mph into a bridge - not much fear of that, i dont think my tolo would manage 140 if i jumped it off a cliff!  ;D

davesideways wrote:
Can leech the air from water and doesn't like Co2 either? :) Best to stand back and wait till its gone out :)

Erm, if I remember my chemistry, what you're seeing there is the water reacting with the burning magnesium to form magnesium oxide (white smoke) and hydrogen which then burns instantly and ferociously (think Hindenburg) giving the huge flare seen in the vid (dickheads). You put metal fires out with dry powder, starve the bugger of oxygen.

Some of the older VW beetles and vans had magnesium alloy crankcase and gearbox casing......

When I was a kid in Botswana a VW van caught fire on the road not far from where we lived and boy did it burn well! :o  No fire brigade handy there!  After the fire they eventually dragged the remains away and left the 'bones' of the engine and gearbox lying on the ground surrounded in white powder - the crank and rods in a line with the gear clusters........ with pushrods still in half melted tubes.  The heads must have been something different as they were still partly present although impressively melted.

If I catch my kids pratting around like the ones in that vid they'll be for it!  Sort of stupid thing I used to do.....

Nick

Archived