can spacers or wider wheels be fitted to a gt6?

soooty

Can you fit spacers or wider wheels to a mk2 gt6?  i want to get the arches flared and then push the wheels out a bit to fill the arch. i was thinking of fitting a kit like the serbring ones they have on old mgs but theres nothing i can find like that for the gt6.  There are plenty of places that will flare the arches 20mm or so which would look good so have decided on that.

Not sure how make the wheels stick out more though to fill the arch.  if fitted with spacers would it need longer wheel nuts or longer bolts that the nuts go onto? and where would i get all the bits?  i have enough trouble getting normal wheel nuts as have got cobra supa slots fitted which even fitchets couldnt find a nut to fit when i needed one replacing. ta for any help.

sooty,

on no account fit spacers to the hubs with the standard wheel studs,they simply aren't strong enough.if you must use them swap the wheel studs for 12mm or 7/16" size(easily available from places like demon tweeks or rally design etc.)but you will have to change the nuts to suite.there is also the problem that pushing the wheels out further will increase the leverage on the spring and effectively reduce the spring rate and lower the ride height.if you really want to fill the arches more can you not fit wider tyres or even get wider rims and tyres?

I use some thin 1/4" spacers on the rear of my GT6 as I have had problems with the cosmic wheels causing the tyres to rub  the shocks when the suspension is fully extended. The MOT man picked this up one year and I had to fit the spacers to get it through the MOT, in proctice the suspension doesn't get fully extended very often though, more likely to get fully compressed with a fat git like me driving  ;D .

I wouldn't advocate using thick wheel spacers though to increase the track width though.

5.5 inch wide rims were an optional extra on our cars and still have the correct PCD.  I have a set of original 5.5J steels on my GT6.  This with 175/70/13 tyres looks good IMO.

On 5.5J wheels if you wanted to you could go to 185 tyre on the back to fill the arches if you decide to have them rolled.  175 is better on the front for steering weight etc. I believe.

I know of a couple of people who have 175s on the front and 185s on the rear and they like the set up a lot.

hm i checked what was on my car. same front and rear. the tyres are 155/80/13. and the supaslots wheels say 6 1/2 x 13 x 31 offset.  the 6 1/2 might say 5 1/5 cant tell good. looks more like a 6 to me though. the metal has worn where the writing is emboessed.

i get loads of wheel spin pullin away even on a very slightly damp road. they are new tyres though.

!* didn't know i could fit wider tyres to the same size wheel. i like that idea.  assuming my wheels are 6.5s can i go even wider than 185s on the rear?

would 205/60/13 go on a 5.5 or a 6.5?. or is that too wide for a gt6?

The 31 offset is larger than the standard 22mm so your wheels will be 9mm further in than standard. (Possibly wheels designed for Dolomite or TR7?)
Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 185/60 (175/70 ideal) but I know others have. Watch the tyres don't touch on the inside ie shocks etc.

579 wrote:
i get loads of wheel spin pullin away even on a very slightly damp road. they are new tyres though.

Although wider tyres will aid grip, don't think they are the be all and end all.

I too had issues with damp and wet days on the tyres my GT6 came with when I bought it.  They were 155 Semprits and harder than a hard thing that's very hard!

The harder the tyre the less the grip but the lesser the wear, so they last longer.  If you only use your car on hot, dry days then they are probably fine.  However if you actually use your car in all weathers then they're useless!  TBH I'd rather hold the road and go through tyres faster than have hard things that last forever but are just waiting to send you into a hedge at the slightest opportunity!

RWD cars are more prone to to sliding anyway.  I have a Sierra as a daily driver, again the tyres are what it came with.  They're cheapo tyres, and yes on damp days you have to tip toe round corners.  I've had a few moments just driving at 15mph around roundabouts! Useless!  I thought I could blame my GT6s skittishness on old 60s design, but no, a 90s car is just as prone.  Tyres are tyres are tyres, and are what hold the road, or not. The car is neither here nor there.

I now use 175/70 Uniroyal 680 Raintyres on the GT6.  Have done for 2 years.  They're directional, and they're great on the GT6.  It holds the road brilliantly.  Width isn't everything!  Buying a decent quality tyre, whatever the width, is everything, IMO.

Archived