bob dunn

I ran my Midge with 15" wires and in the best part of 15 - 20 years hard use never had any of those nuts come loose.  I only ever tightened them up with an open ended spanner and never dot-punched or thread-locked them.... I did however lose a centre knock-on which had an unseen (by me) hairline crack. I managed to pull over before the wheel fell off. I found the damaged knock-on about 1/2 mile back.     My spare was held on with the wrong handed knock-on and I found myself stuck by the side of the road with no AA or RAC coverage and I didn't have a mobile back then.......

Moral of story, check your Knock-ons regularly, carry a mobile and make sure you have roadside recovery cover.....

I'm interested in this topic because I'm fitting wire wheels to my project. The nuts for the spline adapters are like normal wheel nuts in that they have a taper and if they can be tightened to the correct torque I see no reason why they should come loose any more than a wheel nut would. However, the big problem as I see it is the fact that you cannot get a socket spanner on and I think this is a basic design flaw. A reduced head nut would make it possible to use a socket and a torque wrench. In fact, the nuts supplied by MWS are actually bigger across the flats than the standard 11/16"AF wheel nuts.

Mine were the standard 11/16" nuts, ground down to suit. I had no issues tightening or untightening with an open ended spanner, but after all the years I used (and repaired) the car the nuts were starting to round off a bit.  I think the MWS nuts might not give enough flat to put the spanner on if they are bigger?

I know there's not a lot of love here for wire wheels but I think they look the dog's gonads on a round tail, so I have a set ready to go on the car when  the rebuild is finished. I doubt I will be throwing it about too much on the road.

And it may be common knowledge here though I can't recall seeing it mentioned: Triumph issued the following Service Bulletin in Feb 1969, so I have a small tub of this grease ready:

-----------------------------------------
February 6, 1969 Triumph Service Bulletin
Pertaining to GT-6, Spitfire, TR-250 & TR-4A

In addition to recent Service Bulletins on this subject, in order to simplify the fitting of wire wheels to hub adaptors, it has been decided that grease can and should be liberally applied to all tapers, splines and screw threads on both the wire wheels and adaptors alike.

The following procedure must be adopted each time wheels are removed and refitted and careful attention always given to this at all predelivery, 1,000 mile inspections and routine service operations:

1. Check that the splines on the hub adaptors and in the wheels are clean and free from foreign matter.

2. Insure that the adaptor taper, hub nut and matting wheel hub tapers are clean.

3. Grease all tapers, splines and screw threads liberally with special PBC grease. Stocks of this PBC grease in the form of 1 oz. tubes part number V 640 are available through our Spares Organization.

4. Slide the wheel on to the adaptor and pushing against the wheel hub center to maintain concentric location, simultaneously screw on the retaining nut by hand until the wheel is felt to seat on the adaptor taper.

Restraining the wheel with one hand, continue tightening by striking the ears of the nut with a soft faced hammer or on later cars, tighten wheel nut with special wrench included with tool kit. Lower the wheel to the ground and finally tighten.

Failure to observe these precautions can result in the tapered faces binding causing premature tightening of the nut against the wheel outer taper and failure to clamp the wheel against the adaptor taper. Such condition would prevent the wheel from seating correctly and lead to damaged splines.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't they can hit the back of the wheel; particularly if you try to use standard wheel nuts - you need the thin ones. Been there done that!    ??)

Actually had to LOOK for a standard wheel nut (none of mine have standard wheels on them anymore). Any guesses why I prefer to run mine on Minilites?   :-/

7923 wrote:
I too think wires are gorgeous, have been considering them on my gt6 but it a mk 3 so undecided, and they are a lot of work, already have a set on the mgb.
Well maintained they make the car look amazing.
Tim

Started with wires on my Mk3 (never came loose, BTW) but wound up with 14 X 6 alloys.  Seem to better fit the style and character of squaretails.