please help! 17 - 19 inch wheels! HELP PLEASE!

mentman

HELLO, i realy need some help on my car. i have a triumph vitesse mk 2 and i realy want to know, is it posible to get work done from at any old garage to have new 17 or maby 19 inch alloy wheels fitted to my car. the real question is, can it be done? is all the fittings different now?
i am so thankfull to any one who can help me out.
thanks alot.
Alex

It can be done, anything can be done. But you're talking about very wide wheels for 19's and sidewalls about as thick as a rubber band. You may find some MGF fitments (ask for those when ordering the wheels) in large wheels. The width would be the biggest issue with risks of you rubbing the side of the inner arches. And unlike modern cars there is nothing there to cut away. You'd have to extend them.

This page could help you.
http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=tyre.htm

I'm curious though, why would you want such big wheels? It'll look hideous. From an aesthetic point of view 15 is as large as I'd go. I'll not even start with the handling characteristics.

Fair play if you have a go though and I'd be interesting to hear how you get on.

Hi,

You may find choices a bit limited due to the unusual 3.75" wheel nut pcd.  As Ferny points out this is the same as MGF, but nothing else modern.  I suppose adaptors are an option.

As far as size goes, you have to remember that these cars were designed for 13" wheels and the Vitesse had 155 section tyres as standard.  This means that there isn't much room in the arches for monster wheels - you'll be really struggling to get anything wider that 185s in without chopping metal.  In any case, this suspension setup with large camber changes, and the lack of power steering means you don't really want very wide tyres anyway and certainly not very low profile - not enough sidewall compliance to cope with the camber changes..

The biggest wheels I have seen on a Herald/Vitesse are MGF ones at 15" x 6 (?)  Dunno what the tyres were.  I though they looked too big.  Unlike the spitfires and GT6s whcih look pretty good with big wheels (possibly not 17" plus though!), I think the the Herald and Vitesses look best with 13 or 14" wheels, 5.5 or 6" wide with a mximum of 185 section tyres.  Just my opinion though, it's your car....

Got 13 x 6 wheels with 175/70 tyres on mine.  Not arch mods needed but very close at the front.

Nick

Hub adapters are available for MGF's, so if you get a set then almost any 4 stud wheel can be fitted.But as above, without serious bodywork mods anything over 185 wide won't fit! However, if money no object and as you use the rotoflex rear (or CV joints whatever) to restrict camber change too, it could be an interesting idea!

Archived