tom horse

Hi,

Does anyone know what differences there are between a 1300 piston and the 1500 piston? I know the bore is the same and the only thing I can think of that might be different is the location of the gudgeon pin.  I'm just about to build another 1300 engine was was thinking it would interesting to stick a turbo on it.

Thanks JMM

This image is for the 6 cylinder but I'm fairly sure the same is true of the 4...

PistonsCompared.jpg

The con-rods are the same between the (large bearing) short stroke and the long stroke. So later 2L engines have the same con-rods as the 2.5 and later 1300s have the same con-rods as the 1500. To accommodate the extra stroke, the little end therefore has to be higher up the 1500 piston than it is on the 1300. The piston is consequently also shorter overall.

thanks for that its pretty much what i thought.  in My last 1300 build i used 4 rods from a Gt6 engine. i just wasnt sure about the difference between 1300 and 1500 pistons  the easiest thing would be to find a 1500 engine and bung some low comp pistons in it or use my spare 1300 and keep the boost pressure down to about 0.7 bar.  in the meantime its back to the minidigger engine and try to set the tappets without having to take the hydraulic pump off.

theyve only gone and put the tdc mark behind the bellhousing so you cant see it without taking the pump and bellhousing off