Spot the difference Crank. rear oil seal housing

JensH

Building a new engine for my spitfire mk 3. Engine is an early 13/60 GExxxxxE prefix, so block should be identical with a FD. Rebore +20 and refitted new camshaft bearings (someone before me had dropped a spitfire mk 3 in).

But spot the difference: witch rear oil seal housing should I use? Clean one came from my parts bin, oily one was the original one from the GE engine.  

Engine to be used with an alu bell housing with scroll type (?) oil seal me thinks.

Do I understand this correct, if I say the right rear housing above in first post is for a scroll seal? It has the same part number 212622, but missing the lib holding the seal back. Seals was (before I took one out and cleaned the housing) identical. The seal in the left (oily) one has the same internal diameter.

Problem is, both cranks coming from the two engines (both have had a rebuild before) are identical, see below.

This engines are all new for me, so please - need some help!

Strange if it has the same part No. Either there is another part No. hidden or the lip has been subsequently machined off.

I suppose it could be different suppliers? I'd go for the one with the lip providing the crank surface is no damaged where the seal sits?

Hello Jen,

neither of the cranks are scroll seal type so it's your choice which housing. The one with the lip gives more flexibility in positioning your seal with the added complication of no lip to ensure that its is driven in square.

Alec

Thanks for replies, any experience in best solutions?

Don't know if the lip has been machined off - it doesn't look like though, but the GE engine was rebuilded at least once, and the one donating the crank too.

Both rear housings with the number 212622 - but certainly different productions; one with the number on the front and the other one with the number at the backside. And both with stanpart logo & name and with V3014 as cast(?)-number.

Archived