pairing a Vanguard Engine to a Saloon box. pitfall

Saltddirk

hello,

As we found out the shaft diameter of the Big saloon OD box and the clutch on the Vanguard engine  (or TR 4 pot engine for this purpose) are of different diameters,

Easy enough to fit a saloon clutch/ release bearing/ pressure plate but are there any other pitfalls, point to look out for? The spigot looks shorter too?

Cheerz
D

Hi D

Here's memory for you. In 1983 my mate bought a maroon MKII 2000 with a damaged block and shot engine. We went to the local scrappy near RAF Cottesmore in Rutland and pulled out of the dirt a six pot which we thought was an early 2000 lump. We spent a good while cleaning it up and preparing only to find when we offered it up to the gearbox that it didn't fit. Obviously this is a while ago but I really think it was a bit more fundamental then just swapping out the clutch. I don't think the bolt holes lined up, or the input shaft is just too long or something, it was something major?

Anyway it was that much of a problem that we sold the engine to someone in the Vanguard club and found another engine.

Cheers
Dazzer

Thanks Colin and Dazzer.

The box physically fits the engine, we have tried that.
I had my doubts as to the Shaft "design", ie the splines and spigot being of different length / Diameter

The engine is an early "vanguard" engine, 4 cylinder as used on the Renown. It is basically the same as TR2 but with different head and stud arrangement.
I dont have a TR crank to compare mine with, and am told that they are different but the bits sticking out are the same. (or at least seem to be)

Most of the Roadsters I know have, when they change for a TR engine kept the TR floor mounted 4 speed box. There must be a reason for that. Perhaps it is only because the gearing is now better suited for high way cruising (original box has only 3 speed), but maybe not.

I have a spare Renown engine and wanted to pair it to a OD box I bought at Stoneleigh. Pete has overhauled the box for me and it is brand new inside. That should give me a few more HP and a better gearing for the next RBRR!