Replacing mechanical fuel pump

BrianJT

After several years of nursing the original 1959 Herald mechanical fuel pump to keep it operating, I have decided to replace it with an electrical pump.

So much choice and easy to get one that is not entirely suitable for my requirements.

I would like some advice from anyone who has fitted a suitable, hassle-free pump. Ideally, the pump should be a bolt-on unit that also blanks off the hole where the old pump was fitted but I doubt if one exists.  So, what is recommended?

All replies gratefully received.

I recommend sticking with the mechanical pump, to be honest. I had so much hassle with the electric pump on my Vitesse that I reverted it. The Spitfire does still have an elecric pump - a Facet one - which works OK now that the fuel tank's been replaced, but has to be in the boot.

If you insist on going electric, Huco and Facet are the two recommended makes. Make sure the one you get is a low pressure one - 1.5bar preferred, 2.5 absolute maximum. If you're fitting in the engine bay then you need one that's specified for that position - it needs a significant "lift" (the maximum height above the tank) to cope with hills... and the general condition of pipes. The one along the chassis is pretty small bore on a Herald.

For blanking the hole in the engine, there's a plate that's readily available from MiniSpares and the like, because early Minis used the same fuel pump fitting as Triumphs, and late ones have electric pumps.

I'll second that. There's no benefit to fitting an electric fuel pump to a standard engine. You'll gain nothing more than an extra item to go wrong. 

And that's coming from someone with a fuel pump delivering 250 lph at 5bar because I'm not running anything like a standard engine, if that means anything!