16P/16PB Brake Caliper Differences

mikeyb

I'm sure I should already know this but can someone remind me what the differences between the 16P & 16PB Vitesse/GT6/TR calipers are?

Are they all interchangeable?

I'm getting around to fitting my Caterham uprights to the Herald but need to convert to GT6 brakes at the same time.  I have a couple of pairs of calipers to potntially overhaul but need to identify them to order seals etc!

Difference is mainly in the dust shield design.

The 16P has a simple looking "C" section seal which hooks into a groove on the top edge of the piston and actually has a hidden extra lip that secures it into the top of the cylinder bore.  They (the dust seals) are right little swines to fit until you have got the knack (which takes at least 4 seals to learn and is quickly forgotton  :()

The 16PB had a redesign to make the seals a bit less annoying to fit and they have a wire spring clip to secure them to the caliper body.  The caliper body and pistons are both slightly altered as part of the dust seal re-design but the calipers are otherwise completely interchangeable.

The M16P is the metric version and is the same as the 16PB apart from having metric threads in the bleed nipple and connection holes.  They also have slighly larger holes in the mounting lugs making it necessary to use special shouldered bolts.

Rather dodgy pic showing both seal types.  I seem to have kits for both types here, but I don't have any 16PB calipers and rebuilt my 16Ps last year so I've obviously messed up  :B

Nick

• 2 years later...

Archived