mikew

mikew wrote:

None, I am using the "scatter method" of maintaining idle, the ECU will maintain idle revs by altering the spark timing, this only works below a certain TPS threshold

mike

It is this that make it wrong,  cos as the  tps  setting goes frae 1 to some thing else the idle will go as said in previous post.   if it goes to tps 2 the idle will be switched off. unless you set it higher,  like  below tps 3 so it acts on tps 2 and below, but doing this, idle really suffers as the swing is too great.    the time lapse  between on off is instant,  But the delay in actual engine response is alot slower, resulting in the revs going up and doon.

I cant see the diff in engine heat at idle in a tr as opposed to a gt , and I got extra vents in too. but still gone thru 3 pots  so far, one  colvern and two  wabash originals.   and car is not used much as a modern,!!!
the colvern although supposedly a better pot, has no got the internal spring return that the Wabash has, so when the colvern started to go, the internal wobbles were much greater, as there was no spring to keep it seated at its set place.
[ think of your throttles with no closing spring,  then you get an idea of what is going on. ]

if it does go off, you need to get one of the newer IR or Magnetic ones, exactly same shape, but not got a metal track to run on.  basicly all it is is a dimmer track set up on the older types.

when the engine is on the rollers, try useing just the batch fire and not the sequential. as its about half the duty cycle of sequential, have a fiddle with the comp on the fuel screen

go to fuel screen , right click mouse to bring diff  sytems up, click one you want and see the diff it makes to duty cycle and pulse widh, quite alott.

sequential will give a slightly better idle, as you can time it to valve opening, but does nothing over 2-2.5 K   rpms as any injector will just be continuously spraying fuel to the naked eye.

you got bigger injectors to go in, but bigger injectors dont act as well lower doon the rev range, this is why i say   up the pressure or try batch fire instead fusrt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1452 wrote:
Beautiful engine, Mike.

On the 6-3-1 exhaust manifold, which of the cylinders are joined to form 3 from6?

Thank you.

The manifold pairs 1 and 6, 2 and 5, and 3 and 4 - all to do with gas scavenging.

mike

James, Marcus,

thank you for your advice and tips. I shall try all this on the rolling road - I am going to book an entire day, so I can play, but I have to get the car finished first..

mike

Progress on the 5

Mounted the coil pack

don't you just love rivnuts, once in place you dont need 2 hands to hold a nut and bolt either side of a panel

got the Kenlowe in and wired too

and loom wrapped the efi wiring

I am awaiting a few parts now, so its time to get the dash in next

mike

Looking good Mike— all those extra wires and components have to go somewhere— doing a neat job can be hard. Can already think of better ways of doing various bits with my EFI install— it's nothing compared to the beauty of yours!

(I am getting ITB jealousy!)

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the 5, I completed the dash wiring, and got the instruments in

fitted an oil catch tank

fitted the oil cooler and thermostat, now I can get some oil hoses made to the correct length

fitted the HID lamps and transformers

my fuel catch tank and high pressure pump have also arrived, so the next jobs will be to finish plumbing the efi system back to the fuel tank, and fit the under dash fuse / relay boxes and also the ecu

Archived