Sherpa o series engine with 5 speed box

Matt Mason

The same gearbox also fits a certain all alloy V8 - which weighs rather less than a B series and probably the O series.  In fact I think the Triumph straight 6 weighs less than the B series..............

I have seen articles about people fitting some of the more interesting O series derivatives (the 16v ones - is that called the T series?) into MGBs and even into a TR7.  They are cheap, tough engines and can be really powerful in some forms - think they might be a bit large for a Herald though as they are quite tall and I suspect pretty heavy too (though not as heavy as the original B series).

Nick

The O series was developed into the M series which had the 16v twin cams and turbo used in the Rover Coupe and 800 Vitesse. 200 bhp and quick too, albeit a bit heavy, and prone to burning out pistons. Only the block is similar so I wouldn't bother with the O series at all, better just get an M series and have done with it. Be warned though, you really need to buy a complete running car to ensure you get all the necessary bits.

In the Sherpa, a lot of LT77 boxes were only four speed, so make sure you check before you buy.

[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1171826072,s=6 date=1171840755]O series were being developed for fitment into the TR7 before the car was axed.

I believe that a turbo version was tested at MIRA and was the fastest "works" Triumph - or maybe not. I think Dave Pearson would know tho ;)[/quote]

That's true! A week after the TR8 team had captured the 'official' record at Mira, the O series turbo team went back and got another couple of mph. The guy in charge told me though that the only reason was they used skinny tyres and with less drag/resistance they got the record. I have the build sheets for that car somewhere, Triumph's fastest ever car, officially!

Archived