Head gasket on mk1 2.0l engine

Alex

Looking for some advice.....
Got a mk1 engine in a vitesse that's head gasket failed.
On inspection it appears the studs were loose so hopefully we just need to replace, refit and then re torque at various interval afterwards to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Can anyone tell me the best option for a headgasket on a mk1 engine also where we can get one please?
Do they do a payen one?.....is this even a good idea?
This car is doing the Rbrr so need to get it right.

Also I wonder if anyone can tell me what's happened to the valve in the following picture,it's the only thing we can see wrong other than the fact the copper gasket was still shiny where it hadn't been compressed at the front of the head ( heads going to be checked for straightness too).

cant really see what valve problem youre talking about in the picture. Do you mean what looks like impact damage on the 3rd valve from top? Also have all the cylinders been running with the same correct fuel mixture because the carbon build up looks to be different on some.....
Will you be grinding in the valves while youve got the head off? Worth doing if not done recently and you can clean and closely inspect all areas better as well. The down side is the possible loss of the ingrained lead protection of the seats but the additive your using should do the job anyway.
With the head gasket these low power engines are not prone to blowing them (unless loose of course....) so I dont think the make is critical as long as you get it from somewhere reputable.  

Yes 3rd valve from the top, it looks like what you see on steel when it's gone rusty.
As to how the mixture has been I can't really answer that, although there's every possibility the front carb was leaner than the rear.
This engine is all balanced and the head has had much work done including unleaded seats and gas flowed with a fast road cam.
I was under the impression these engine were highly likely to blow head gaskets even in standard form hence my question.......

thanks
Alex

Theres a few design weaknesses in these engines but Ive never heard of the headgaskets being one of them and never suffered a failure on 3 different models. Of course if your driving style is rather more ahem agressive than mine or youve upped the compression significantly then you're best off waiting for a reply from one of 'tuners' on here...
When I mentioned the mixture I meant does the carbon build up look the same on all cylinders? With the valve it does look different.... is there any marking on the piston top of the same cylinder?  

Ive never seen anything that could explain its appearance and the only ideas Ive got are:
have the valves been changed at some time and this one is different some how,
theres a crack between that cylinder and the next or the gasket has leaked there and its affected the valve,
water has leaked in via the head gasket and affected the valve....
Does the old gasket give any clues?

Quoted from glang
Ive never seen anything that could explain its appearance and the only ideas Ive got are:
have the valves been changed at some time and this one is different some how,
theres a crack between that cylinder and the next or the gasket has leaked there and its affected the valve,
water has leaked in via the head gasket and affected the valve....
Does the old gasket give any clues?

I'm guessing the valves were all replaced when the engine was uprated however no very little more.
The PO changed the gasket last year when it blew between 1&2 I think......however this is number 3.
Really not sure otherwise......

Colin,any ideas where we might find a NOS gasket?

I have seen some new valves that had a pretty rough surface though I think they were exhaust valves.  They were part of a "set" that I bought from one of the larger suppliers and got sent back for them to have another go at supplying an actual matching set.  Other possibility is that the valve was quite corroded - how deep are the pits?

Nick

Nick
The pits aren't that deep,maybe 1/2 a mm......
I think My mates going to take it to be checked for flatness tomorrow by a machine shop. Hopefully they'll have an idea what we should do......we are leaning towards replacement though.

Thanks
Alex