StagNL

Hi all,
Having received my new 6 x 15" alloys I am now looking for the right rubber.
Originally I had 185/80 on 14" standard Stag alloys.

Do I go for 205/65 or 195/70 ?   I was thinking of the latter myself.

I'd be all ears to any tips from other Stag owners as to what make and model tyre would be a good choice.

Preferably I'd like a good performing tyre that lasts reasonably well and at not too high a cost.  Naturally being a Stag the rolling noise isn't going to be a deciding factor.

Julian

I've also got 15x6 alloys on my Stag and run 195/65/15 Falkens (can't remember the exact model number). Have had no issues with them, good levels of wet grip and they behaved themselves at the Goodwood trackday in November.

I'd be concerned that 205/65 or 195/70 would look too large in the arches.

Russell.

OK, so 195/65 x 15 is a near match to the original size?  
Previously I was running Vredestein Sprint+ in 185/80 x 14.  

Using Mintys converter, 195/70 x 15 is 0.37% positive rolling difference. The 195/65 x 15 gives a (smaller) 2.7% difference.

The 0.37% made me think the 195/70 would be better as it is as pretty much the same.  

Then again, if the 195/65 tyres are priced better, then that may be a better option.

Thank you for the food for thought, gentlemen,

Julian

195/65 15 tyres are slightly smaller in RD than the 185/80 14. It is really noticeable if you have them stacked on top of each other. 195/65 15 are very close to the later-fitted 175/80 14 tyres. If you can get them, then 195/70 15 would be ideal, but they aren't a popular size.

I'm currently running 15" wheels with 196/65 tyres having taken the original 14" wheels off to refurbish them. They were fitted with 185/80 on the rear and 175/80 tyres on the front, so I've been able to compare them on and off the car.

• 2 weeks later...

195/65s are great VFM as so many cars use them as said.

On mine I use 205/60R15 with no issues, and that includes tramlining etc.  Many who have driven my car have been surprised here.  The offset of my wheels however is a little strange and may indeed allow for a more negative scrub radius than a number of aftermarket wheels (Rays Engineering Split rims; 6.5Jx15" wheels with an ET33 offset).  The wheels themselves are also quite light.