Wheel Bearings - Grease Seal

cbjroms

I read another thread which mentioned the felt seals but did not want to hijack the thread.

The replacement bearing that I am fitting comes with a felt seal and metal cup. I cant see the metal cup on the parts diagrams (eg Canleys) or Haynes manual.

I understand from the previous thread that 'the felt seals can have oversized cup spacer's , the cup should be a light push,tap fit into the hub recess and then the felt rubs between the spacer and the stub axle as a grease seal.  so sequence is  bearing, cup washer, felt   and not bearing, felt , cup washer'

My question is whether the felt is best fitted dry as the Haynes manual seem to suggest that it be saturated with engine oil first?

Thanks

Chris

you are spot on, there are some out there  where the metal cup is much larger section and diameter is oversize,  it just will not fit.

if the old cup is still available re use it

dont saturate the felt but a film on the rubbing faces avoids any felt getting 'picked up'

if you happen to have bought some big uns  carefully remove the felt as it tends to be glued in the cup and refit with the old original cup

only grease the bearing races and tracks do not fill the centre void with grease, this will retain more heat and does nothing for the tapered rollers

set the end float to a firm hand nip on the castle nut then back it off 1 to 2 flats  then insert a new split pin. there must be 0.002" to 0.008" bearing end float  ( thats upto to 3mm rock at the tyre )
to tight will seize the outer bearing rapidly, too much and the disc pushes the pads back and you get a low pedal  

if fitting new felts  recheck the float after a few miles .
Peter

• 5 weeks later...

peterhlewis wrote:

only grease the bearing races and tracks do not fill the centre void with grease, this will retain more heat and does nothing for the tapered rollers

Just been reading the manual and it says pack the space between the outer rings with grease and smear grease over the outer rings. Are you saying not to fill that space then now Pete?

Thanks

Archived