spitfire mkiv wheel arch space

Phil.smith40

7598 wrote:
Hi.
Ive noticed today that the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch is slightly less on the passenger side than it is on the driver side?
fit 3 fingers in passenger side and 4 in drivers side?How can i adjust this?
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Can`t be adjusted uless a mechanical fault

Can be down to MANY things:

When the panels were welded on they have been located slightly wrong
One side COULD have the possibility of having the wrong length half shaft ( 1" difference)
Are the tyres identical?
Is there an excessive  camber more on one side than the other (Bearing housing/trunnion sticking)

Check those first

7598 wrote:
do you think it could be a wheel bearing gone on passenger side?
i do have a slight squeak on that side at times and its worse when i reverse with wheel slightly turned?
My first classic so slowly finding my way.
cheers

if a failed wheel bearing caused the difference of a fingers width I very much doubt the car would be drivable.
are you measuring on the front wheel or rear?the bonnet can be adjusted to some degree to get a better alignment.

I found this problem when I put the MGF wheels on my Mk4, went around the car with a tape and found the rh front about 1/2" lower on the chassis.
Got a packing piece from Canleys that fits between top of spring and mounting. No more tyre rubs.
(clap)
Tony.

Its an idea to measure the height of the chassis from the ground at each corner to establish if the problem is due to suspension or the mounting of the body on the chassis or chassis problem.

If it is the chassis leaning, jack under centre front and then centre rear to see which end is causing the problem.
When the front is up, push down the rear on each side to overcome any spring friction effect.

nang wrote:
I found this problem when I put the MGF wheels on my Mk4, went around the car with a tape and found the rh front about 1/2" lower on the chassis.
Got a packing piece from Canleys that fits between top of spring and mounting. No more tyre rubs.
(clap)
Tony.

i was maybe wanted to do that also because of my revolution wheels and because of the car is sitting lower with the new suspension..