Pitted chrome bumpers

Raider

The bumpers on my wife's Mini get pitted very quickly;  in particular the rear one which is more exposed at the end of our car port.

I clean the bumper up with Solvol Autosol and have tried a layer of car wax over the bumper to try and seal it. Any ideas on how I could preserve the bumpers better and keep the rust at bay?

Buy some stainless ones!
Very cheap, but also pretty thin so dent easily.
Other option is to lacquer the chrome ones. Apparently Mexican beetle bumpers rust overnight, bodyshops who fit them at (idiotic) clients requests have to lacquer those as a matter of course, as well as trying to explain to aforementioned clients why.
Proper mini bumpers are generally not too bad though. The one on Lucy's car is holding up well,the other is a stainless version.

Raider wrote:
The bumpers on my wife's Mini get pitted very quickly;  in particular the rear one which is more exposed

Oh dear ....has D tried a longer coat?

The only thing I can suggest is a layer of Waxoyl
If its just for winter protection, which can then be removed, then that should stop deterioration and then polish in summer
other than that nothing will stop the rust other than a total re coppering and chroming  

If a reasonably good looking chromed bumper rusts over fairly quickly then the plating is not good and nothing will really help.
Get them copper/nickel/chrome plated.

S/S bumpers sound good but they do not have the deep shine that quality chrome has.
Also if you have a deep scratch/score then you will have to do some serious blend/polishing which will leave a distorted surface.
Chrome bumpers can be repaired easily by stripping and replaying.

Roger