Transmission Tunnel Questions

Bradders

Hi all

I am in the process on repairing and relining the standard tunnel on my MkIV and have a few, potentially dumb, questions.

Firstly, what is the rectangular dish moulding on the top of the tunnel for? Is it to somehow help with the fitting of a radio or something as it appears to restrict the space in that area rather than ease it?

Secondly, the rear most (towards bulkhead) ridge of this rectangular dish has a small metal plate fixed in place with 3 screws. I cannot see what this is for either - is something meant to attach to this?

Lastly, my tunnel has a clutch footrest attached to it, is this normal as I cant see it on Rimmers etc?

Cheers

Bradders

The answers to your first two questions fall out from the relationship of the Spitfire to the Herald. They are similar enough in that area that the gearbox cover is the same. On a Herald, there is no H-frame supporting the dash, and the dash is rather higher up. This means that the "rectangular dish moulding", when exposed through a hole in the carpet, becomes a very obvious oddments storage tray, easily accessible to the driver. A good place to put your coins for the toll bridge.

The second question, on the metal plate, is less obvious but still Herald related. This is where the rear support bracket for the dealer-fit optional radio would attach.

As to the foot rest, yes, that was fitted to Spitfires and GT6s but not to Heralds or Vitesses. If you look on the Canley Classics web site, you'll see that they do show it, albeit as NLA.

Hi

Thanks, that explains a lot.

I asked this as I was attempting to follow the profile on the underside with insulation wrap (with difficulty) but then stopped to wonder why it was necessary and why not go flat across it.

Live and learn.

Cheers

Andy