Removing the rear wings - Spot weld tool

sx2visuvesi

Quoted from vitessesteve
Make sure you get the right size.  Having used both the cutter type

and the traditional special drill type

I would recommend a quality special drill type.  Start by punching a centre point where you want to drill.

We tried to use the cutter type...
The spots on the 2000 were that hard they burnt the cutters out and never made any impact
We used the similar cobalt drill eventually

Not used them on the Triumphs at all, but picking the bodies apart on old BMWs we always used the drills with no problems at all. We took a whole rust free 2002 shell down to it's individual panels so we could take moulds off each. Fibreglass 2002 shell for modsports racing... sadly I left the company before that came to completion.

Howeverthe drills are spot on for the job, as long as you can get them centred right.

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo

Howeverthe drills are spot on for the job, as long as you can get them centred right.

I find that if you rub along the seam with a little sand paper it will highlight the spot welds, then get a centre punch and just dot the middle of the weld, that will help centre the drill as some times they want to wander off as you start them.
Once you go through one or two (slow down as you go through the first skin or you will punch right through them all) get a thin chisel (or big flat screwdriver will also work) then slide it in between the panels, helping them prize apart. Then as you cut the next spot weld, the wing will pop apart making it less likely that you drill right through. (If that all makes sense) ????