Headlights gone out

A TR7 16V

Both headlights, dip and main, have all gone off. I parked the car up with the lights working, but when I came back an hour later, they wouldn't turn on, and every time I tried, the GPS speedo went off. That runs off the supply to the coil and is earthed to the body, where several other things earth, inbord and below the battery. The really odd thing was, whenever either the main or dip lights should have been on, the mainbeam warning light came on.

I had a poke about, and now everythoing except the headlights seem to be fine. The mainbeam warning light is only on when it should be. There is one inline fuze, in the loom just infront of the bulkhead in the engine bay, but it seems fine. I'm thinking earth fault. But where?

Anybody any ideas?

Graham

...Try a new fuse-holder box thingy - meantime, if it's one of them-thar things that hold up to 4 fuses etc., move the fuse up or down one obviously moving the 2 wires at either end as well...The fuse connection can get a bit iffy after so long. It might be a short-term fix.

Fuse is okay. I think it must be an earth fault if the GPS speedo is powered off the coil, and went out with the lights on, but the ignition continued to work: can't be the supply, so it must be the earth. But is there a common earth point for the lights, other than the battery strap?

Graham

Don't think it's the switching because the mainbeam warning light goes on and off with both the dash and column switch. Initially, it was on for both main and dip, but now, after I lifted the bonnet and poked at the wires, it works right. BTW, the side lights are working fine and on when the headlights should be (I think - I will check later), so are they earthed separatly at any point?

Graham

Did you poke the bunch of bullet connectors that usually lives in the middle of the bonnet in the noseconeishthing? That's often the cause of front end lighting ills. A good clean up with some emery paper usually helps. A LIGHT dab of copper grease should help - but remember that copper grease is often conductive, so don't slather it everywhere!!

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Did you poke the bunch of bullet connectors that usually lives in the middle of the bonnet in the noseconeishthing? That's often the cause of front end lighting ills. A good clean up with some emery paper usually helps. A LIGHT dab of copper grease should help - but remember that copper grease is often conductive, so don't slather it everywhere!!

And if this does prove to be the cause of your woes, and you're not too bothered about originality, consider replacing these bullet connectors with modern waterproof multi-plugs. Or even go a step further and add relays to help take pressure off the wiring, you can get relay wired looms for less than £10 on eBay. I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

Thanks for the help. I found and fixed it. Though I have to fess up to fixing the earth connector in the "nose cone" with a scotchlock. I'll look for a better solution when it ain't so bloody cold out there.

The orginal 3 way bullet connetor in the earth side has devolved into a 2 way one, and it's the link to the battery that's no longer connected or connectable. I just need a replacement 3 way rubber coated block, but I ain't got one. So I found an old scotchlock in the boot of the Doly - probably got there from the boot of the TR7 -, and connected direct to the LHS headlamp earth. I think I see what was happening with the mainbeam warning light as well - that now works too.

Graham

• 6 years later...