Triumph Spitfire/GT6 weight list

BiTurbo228

Interesting thread.

My £0.02, you can save the weight of the expansion bottle, bracket, pipe and contained water by using non aqueous coolant.  It doesn't expand with heat.  Bonus 1: your system runs with little pressure and requires no additional corrosion inhibitor.  Bonus 2: your wallet will be ligher too.

Quoted from BiTurbo228

Canleys alloy diff casing: 2.673kg

Whats the weight saving over the cast iron one?

Of course playing devils advocate, the CC alloy diff casing carrys another 1/2 pint of EP75W90 oil and then you have to factor in the weight of the Quaife LSD (well I do anyway) 😎

Good point :S but if I can get better heat dispersion and an LSD for no added weight I'll be happy.

I haven't pulled the cast iron one off my diff yet, but as soon as I do I'll post the weight I'll also see if I can get the weight of the standard diff gear set to see how much heavier the quaife is...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quoted from Bainzy
Spitfire Mk4/1500 door glass - 2kg per window (so 4kg a pair).
Spitfire 1500 USA door with side impact bar - bare shell with only hinges - 11kg

Excellent that'll be useful if I ever want to go to perspex windows or fibreglass doors

Oh, just weighed my Dolly Sprint alloys. 5.4kg sans tyre, which is lighter than the Cosmics I have. The spacers you need to run them on a spit will add weight, but what's 15mm of alloy plate?

• 3 months later...

Right, big brake kit arrived so naturally first thing I did was weigh them

Canley's 4-pot caliper (whole assembly including pads): 3.118kg

Does anyone know the weight of a standard Spitfire caliper?

I've also finished my lower suspension arms and weighed a load of little bits around the rear suspension.

Rotoflex radius arm (complete with bushes): 0.904kg
Rotoflex wishbone inner polybush: 0.044kg
Rotoflex wishbone outer nylon bush: 0.006kg
My lower tie rod (complete with bushes): 0.664kg
My whole lower tie rod assemble (both sides): 2.661kg

So add everything together and we have in order of weight:

Cast iron rotoflex wishbone assembly: 6.788kg
Alloy rotoflex wishbone assembly: 3.756kg
Lower tie rod assembly: 2.661kg

Pretty pleased with that

Quoted from Richard B

Don't you want to compare the 4-pot caliper & disc to the (heavier) GT6/Vitesse caliper & disc?

That would be useful to know as well. Canleys mark down the GT6 caliper as 4.5kg, but I don't know if that includes pads and I haven't a foggy about discs...

The main reason I wanted to know Spitfire ones is so I can work out how much heavier/lighter it'd be on my car.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, whipped one of the Spitfire calipers off my old hubs and they weigh 3.534kg complete with pads.

Also weighed a couple of other things.

Single-rail non-OD gearbox from a Dolly 1850: 28.4kg
Compares to a 3-rail non-OD gearbox: 34.5kg

I reckon the alloy bellhousing on the single-rail is something to do with that...

Then I did diffs.

Standard cast-iron case 3.89 open diff: 23kg
3.89 open diff with alloy case: 19.7kg

• 3 weeks later...

Quoted from JohnD
BiTurbo,
4,5 Kgs?  Is that just the LSD unit?  Not the whole diff, surely?
And you need to compare that weight with the parts it will replace.

But congrats on a good choice, I've had one for years and they are incredibly robust, as well as effetcive.
John

Yep just the LSD unit. When I pull my diff apart I'll get the weight of an open diff centre.

All I hear about them is that they're expensive, but well worth the money. Seemed like a no-brainer

Sure its no the other way around,  the single rail case is deeper, thus hevier than a 3 rail,which is shallower.

And just cos ye got a quaif init, dont mean that it will be OK
diff unit yes, but it will not stop CW, or P loosin their bits.

M

Quoted from GT6 M

Sure its no the other way around,  the single rail case is deeper, thus hevier than a 3 rail,which is shallower.

M

I was as surprised as you are, so I checked it 3 times to make certain. Even went and got a flat board to put under the scales to make sure it wasn't uneven ground giving a funny reading.

All I can think of is either heavier internals on the 3-rail.

Either that or the single rail having an alloy bellhousing. Forgot to check on mine, although I'll do that this evening...

Quoted from GT6 M

And just cos ye got a quaif init, dont mean that it will be OK
diff unit yes, but it will not stop CW, or P loosin their bits.

M

Agreed. I'll need to put it back together very carefully, and check the condition of the cwp to make sure it's not damaged.

On the plus side I've got a 3.89 which from reading around seems to be slightly less fragile than the 3.27, for whatever reason.

I've also read something about the earlier diffs having slightly beefier bearings (but weaker carriers, which I'll replace with the Quaife unit). Seems like a recipe for a strong small-chassis diff, unless I've got my facts mixed up...