New Brake Pipe Length

Chambers

The small brake pipe that goes from rear hose to the wheel cylinder is leaking from the union so Im hoping to replace the pipes.  Ive seen the price of kits which still need bending and they are crazily expensive so I am wondering if its something I can do myself with a kit like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-PIPE-IMPERIAL-FITTINGS-/160508557639?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255f0e3947

And a flairing tool like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pc-Professional-Imperial-Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Kit-NEW-/260928908538?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3cc0932cfa

If so how much (in length) will I approx use on the entire car?
Will those fittings be okay?
Im not sure how the pipe is usually bent, is it by hand or tool?

Last question is, if my existing pipe is leaking from the union, could it be that I have just damaged the flare by over tightening, if this is the case, could I simply re-flare it and see if it will seal?

Thanks

Richard,
You could simply re flare it if it's just that, but first make sure there is enough spare to shorten it.

If the fittings are in good order, then you can re use them.

I have a pipe bending tool, like a pair of pliers with rollers on, but you can do it by hand, just don't kink it, you can also use a socket to bend it round, some of mine have a groove at the bottom wich helps it form. I suppose you fouls use anything, an old piece of broom Handel etc.

Another tip, when you are making new pipes, if you have cut the old one, use a piece of wire (cable) to measure out the length, (its easier to place/bend/adjust etc) then use that
to cut to length the pipe.

Hope that helps a little
Cheers
Shaun

Personally I find them a bit awkward, I have a Sykes pickavant one, that mounts into the vice.
I bought one of those other types, so I can use it on the car, but it was not so good. There are a few different versions, some people like them some not.

If I have to use the s.p. One on the car, then I hold it with a big pair of adjustables.
It's so easy to use in a vice though.

Cheers
Shaun

2577 wrote:
Thanks for the speedy reply, what are your opinions of the cheaper flaring tools?

Cheap nasty crap. Take your old lines off even cut them off close to the union take them to you local motor factors and get a proper set made in kunifer.

Archived