This doesn't look good.

Rutty

Being realistic if the rings have worn that much then the bores will have the same amount of wear and a rebore is needed. If you put new rings in worn bores their sealing maybe even worse.

A compression check, as said above, is essential. Do it once 'dry' and once with a small amount of oil poured into each bore via the sparkplug hole then compare the two readings to positively identify ring blowby....

Thanks for you comments its as I thought. I am picking a compression tester up on Monday so there is not a lot I can do till then. Final question its a Mk1 2.5 Pi on SU's I know I can take the head off in situ but can I drop the sump and remove the pistons or is it the block out job.

Thanks 

Mark

How many miles do you think the engine has done? How does it run with the breather system all connected correctly?

Id be surprised if you cant take the pistons out in situ although it wont be a pleasant job and  also difficult to maintain the required level of cleanliness...

I don't know how many miles the engine has done but there is no top or bottom end noises that I can hear so it would suggest its not excessive.  It has been  suggested it could be sticky rings due to lack of use over the last 10 years and I was told to put some diesel in the bores to see if it releases them.  I will give that a try once I have done the compression tests. 

Thanks for you comments

Mark

What is the oil like? If it’s got lots of petrol and or water in it you can get a fair bit of gassing off as it warms up. Looking at the pulsing though, I’d say two or three cylinders with stuck/ broken rings. If it’s just been woken from long slumber then a good soaking with ATF, or even a bit of ATF in the oil might help free the rings off. Getting it properly hot and putting some load on it might also help.

Not to depress you too much, I had similar with my old PI (didn’t chuff quite as much as yours) and messed around for ages trying free the rings and improve the breather system to minimal effect. It did drive ok, but used a lot of oil and blew oil out of every joint when pushed. Compression figures were uniformly excellent, I think because there was so much oil getting past the rings, every test was a wet test.

In the end it got stripped and turned out to be quite clean inside (the ATF!) with all rings free and intact. The problem was that the bores had been quite rusty (could still see the witness marks where the rings had sat after 2k miles of running) and two of them were quite pitted high up. The vendor swore it hadn’t been “cracked off” Yeah, right.

Had to rebore it, but the rest of it was pretty good, could have been worse.

Good luck

Nick