Spit front wheel bearings new quality

Benjamin Swatton

It nigh on impossible to work out what your actually going to get prior to purchase as photos can be dated and only use will prove -  but here is a visual review of a set i just bought some from Paddocks. My old ones were stamped Powerdrive which I think is Indian they were still smooth after 20k miles but the bore fit of outer bearing on stub axle was too wobbly so I'm replacing as these new ones are a tighter fit and on one unworn OEM stub axle the inner bearing fit of the new bearings is superb so tolerances seem bob on.. the outer bearing still have some slop on unworn axle but about half my worn ones - but I think this is as good as your going to get and maybe even inevitable.

There are various supplier labelling you can see in photo Inc.  and the bearing race is etched id possibly suggests Korean manf.?

ExxonMobil grease 

Felt seal housing is much thicker steel than the seal paddocks sells individually and also not glued on much so easy to remove if required 

I think Paddocks has used this supplier for a fair few years as I bought rear bearings 4 years ago in same packaging and not had any issues..

In summary I think these maybe good quality although time will tell and I'm not buying timkens at £160 for both wheels

1630001434010-1681339084.jpg

1630001489171-429101292.jpg

16300018531231867503353.jpg

1630002068374-1361098686.jpg

• Like 1

A closer inspection of my 20k power drives shows one to be very scrap suprisingly no apparent damage to race at all though. This side I did tighten bearing a little more but still as per book as had occasional brake rub with when manoeuvring with large smounts of steering lock - in reality i think it is a warped disc issue-we shall soon see as I'm fitting new disks. It's possible bearing damage due to over tightening but who knows certainly I will earing on Loose rather than tight in future.

1630007507487178047986.jpg

And for completeness this is the axle -I'm not scrapping it out its still good enough in my mind and is better than photo suggests with machining marks over half of diameter still visible plus the slightest of ridge's over the otherhalf and compared to a barely worn oem axle the bearing wobble on axle is pretty similar.

1630008598959338175439.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 26/08/2021 at 20:57, RobPearce said:

That is actually by design, apparently. The outer bearing is not clamped but is free to move along the shaft a little to accommodate thermal expansion.

Your comment to "the outer bearing still have some slop on unworn axle"

So glad to read this! My Herald 13/60 was judged by the German TüV inspector to have some play and thus did not pass. I have tightened up the nut a notch in order to eliminate the play but after the retest tomorrow, will likely loosen it off again. This is easier than trying to prove that such play ( it is very slight) is normal.

Yes its actually quite a good thing as it allows the bearing inner race to slowly turn on the stub axle so evenly distributing impact wear from the road. A modern car with fixed bearing races always get the pot hole damage in the same place....

On 26/08/2021 at 19:55, yorkshire_spam said:

Last time I priced up Timken bearings alone (no pin, grease or felt seal) it came out at about £77.50 inc VAT but + delivery from https://www.bearings-online.co.uk/ for all 4
Will be interested to see how the ones you have last/perform over time.

9 years and 20K miles ago, I replaced, with a £8 one from Canley. Still ok. I don't drive hard though?

• Like 1