Spitfire fuel pump

MarkB

Fitting a small crank 1360 in place of a Mk4 Engine in my Spitfire mk3 and was going to use the new fuel pump from the Mk4 engine. When bolting onto the engine you can hear the squish of the the pump as the lever is pushed onto the cam. When I then try and use the primer lever, it has full travel but pumps nothing as I think the lever on the cam is already raised. I have turned the engine over to different positions on the crank nut to move the cam to a different position but has no effect. I am worried incase it is not the correct pump. I believe there are two types listed straight lever MK3 4 1500 and cranked lever late 1500. I was sold this for the mk 4 and looks cranked to me but appears the same as the one in rimmers that is described as straight. First pic of new pump with herald 1360 second pic rimmers Mk3, Herald. anyone shineany light :-/

Cheers

Blue  

Get yourself a Huco electric low pressure(1.4) fuel pump. One of the really good mods ive done. It also sucks and will always supply the correct pressure and will stop fuel evaporation on hot days stuck in traffic.

Cant tell you anything about the pumps you currently have but good luck.

Chris.

As I understand it, (and please interrupt me if I am wrong) the later 1500 pump is used with a 'paxolin'-type insulator/spacer.  If you are using a later pump without the spacer, then I doubt if it will work.  Also as I understand it, the spacer is intended to provide better insulation between the hot block and the fuel pump.  This was a useless mod because hot oil is still squirted up the pump.

Just received a new pump from Canleys after sending them a picture of the new pump I had fitted to my Mk4 engine. They didn't recognise the cam shape on the pump which confirmed my suspicion that the pump wasn't right for my car. It was bought locally. It worked but didn't feel right when fitting, but at the time I needed the car so took a chance. Have to check the cam on the mk 4 engine to see if there is any damage, covered less than 100 miles. Pleased I followed my gut feeing and didn't just fit it to the 1360 lump.

Cheers
Blue

Archived