The 1500 has developed some issues.

Jemma phoned this afternoon to say that the brakes were sticking on, but she managed to get home. I said check which one's hot, and the scream down the phone was quite something when she confirmed it was the driver's side front....

So, if the caliper is sticking, I reckon it's either the caliper itself needs freeing-up, which seems straight-forward, or it's the flexi hose that's collapsed. Again, shouldn't be too difficult to replace (although annoying when it's her only form of transport and it's likely to be out of action for a few days)

However, my main concern is whether she's cooked the disc or not. If so, it doesn't seem an especially easy job to replace, from reading the manual.

What's the easiest way of changing front discs?
As I'm not very familiar with FWD's, and not particularly good mechanically, I'm hoping I've just scared myself.... I did have a brief look at it a while back, decided it looked complicated and put the wheel back on!  :D

Well, having looked this morning it seems it was just a sticky caliper.
Have had the pads out and worked the pistons in and out a few times, and put some brake fluid around the piston that has a damged a dust cover on it, and it seems OK for now.
The disc disn't look too bad, and so that can stay for a while, although having read the manual and now looked at the job I can see what it's referring to. Still don't fancy interfering with the rubber doughnut though.
Will probably still get the flexi-hoses changed, though, for peace-of-mind.

Also still curious to any useful cheats if I do ever have to get the disc off

Dave, it isn't too difficult. It's a bit more involved than the Dolomite because of the driveshaft. The only difference I can see when I had a look through the Haynes is the vertical link which the driveshafts pass through. On the RWD cars the vertical link just has a stub axle which the hub and disc are bolted to. I'll take a look at my parts catalogue and factory workshop manual and I'll either scan the pages to post on here or I'll quote the procedure in the manual. On my Dolomite 1850 I rebulilt and rebushed the front suspension and swapped the brake discs. When I fitted some replacement brake discs I removed the brake calipers, undid the hub nut, removed the hub from the stub axle and separated the brake disc from the hub carrier. I would imagine that the 1500FWD is pretty much similar.

I hope this is of any help.

Just had an afterthought. Your discs might not need replacing. The maximum run out is 0.002 - 0.004 inch (0.0508 - 0.1016mm) If your discs are within those limits and they're not badly scored then they'll be fine.

No need totouch the doughnut, remove the CV gaiter, and get physical with the CV joint,and remove the entire hub,and upright from the car.
Use a bolt through the caliper/dust shield mounting holes to push the hub/disc assy out of the upright.
change discc, and probably bearing seals.

swear a lot,and re-assemble.

It's relatively straight forward,but a little more time consuming than a RWD.

DON'T lose the shim(s)on the CV joint

BWJ

My two penne'th:-

Also check the disc for any blue'ing - if there is any; it's 'cooked' (very brittle and prone to cracking) and should be replaced. If no discolouration; it'll be fine as long as (as already mentioned) it's within tolerances.

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the party on this one but, afaik, the 1500 FWD setup is the same as the 1300, in which case here's a full photo story on wheel bearing replacement.  In order to do them you have to dismantle far enough to remove the disk so might help you out as and when you do need to:

http://www.dafmobile.ournet.org.uk/index.php/page/14.html

As for checking the Disk.  BE SURE TO LOOK at both sides for cracking and or Blue'ing!  I would also check all the greese on that side as if it got hot enough it could cook de greese.  Allways be safe and check as now is the time.  Do it right, do it once.

Goody wrote:
....  I would also check all the greese on that side as if it got hot enough it could cook de greese.

Excellent point.  Unfortunately, on the FWDs, cleaning and greasing the front bearings involves as mush dismantling as a disk or bearing change.  Not for us the luxury of "remove hub-nut, re-grease, reassemble"!  :(

Archived