Stu 1986

I've got a new sender for my Herald, but it's very different to the original. It's got three connections on it and the arm moves differently to the original. I'm guessing I'll need to bend the arm to match the original one, but which connections do what? Has anyone fitted these?

Like you say the standard Sender unit only has the two connections.

I suspect you will need to link the white terminal on the sender to the earth connection on the sender, then to the earth on the body, then connect the original Wiring from the Guage/Voltage Stabilizer to the Red terminal

If you check the resistance between the White & Red connections on the sender first, this should alter as you move the float.

You may also find that if you connect the Existing black earth wire to the White terminal, then the Guage wire to the Red terminal and ignore the earth connection on the Sender it will still work anyway.

Hope this makes sense?

If you have to bend the arm to make it work then you have probably got the wrong sender!

I have a similar looking one on the TR6, a cheap Turkish copy apparantly.

http://www.blogger.com/profile/01031140031465101590noreply@blogger.com

I had a bit of trouble with it until I realised that the float was the wrong way around and fouling the side of the tank!

Seems to work fine now, although I'd already purchased an OEM style new replacement before I'd worked that out  

I too think I have the wrong sender and have emailed the supplier to hopefully get the issue resolved. I thought initially that it looked different because of the use of modern parts etc, but looking at photos of ones on the various websites and suppliers pages the new ones are exactly like the originals.

I'll wait to hear back from the supplier, but as you point out, I shouldn't have to bend it.

• 4 months later...