Best way to clean fuel tank

2009poolesparky

There seems to be a lot of rust debris in my tank. I have fitted an inline fuel filter straight after the fuel line exits the tank, this stopping the whole line clogging up. This inline filter gets blocked up quite a bit, to the extent the car cuts out from fuel starvation. I then open the filter and clean it and away we go. So eventually all the crud will come out.
There seems to be a lot inside, what's the best way to clean the tank thoroughly with it removed from the car?

Many thanks

I used a product (set) to clean and seal my fuel tank.

First product was a heavy degreaser , eventually my tank started to leak where it shouldn't leak 😲
Then popped in the sealer and let it harden for 2 or 3 weeks.
Still no leaks after 2,5 years and it's been used a lot. 🙂

Mine had a lot of rust to, noticed that when i opened up the fuel pump and carbs, as there was not fuel filter..

Hi, I cleaned mine by strapping it to the drum of a cement mixer with 2l petrol and about 60 small 1/4 inch bolts and let it go for about an hour. then picked the bolts out with a magnet and kept flushing it untill the petrol came out clean. Mine was in quite good condition so did not seal it but the POR15 is very good.
Regards Scott.

Drop a thin chain into it and shake. Failing that, a couple of handfuls of good clean gravel will do the same job, shake it about from every angle possible. Once you've removed all the loose flakes you'll need some kind of sealant to prevent it happening again, as the guys say the POR15 is good stuff.