Fuel Tank Breather

Jo Ann

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.
The whole breather thing was where I was going with this thread.
Basically the original cumbled, so I did the piece of pipe with the bolt in, and the car kept breaking down. Once the pipe wqas removed it worked fine, albeit a little bit smelly :)
I have now fitted a new breather rubber on the filler cap, so that should allow it to breathe. I will do the pipe with bolt again and see if I break down. If I do, then the one way valve will be the next option. If that is the case, where would I get the one way valve from? Is that something the local motor factors would sell?

Many thanks for all replies, much appreciated

4304 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the replies.
The whole breather thing was where I was going with this thread.
Basically the original cumbled, so I did the piece of pipe with the bolt in, and the car kept breaking down. Once the pipe wqas removed it worked fine, albeit a little bit smelly :)
I have now fitted a new breather rubber on the filler cap, so that should allow it to breathe. I will do the pipe with bolt again and see if I break down. If I do, then the one way valve will be the next option. If that is the case, where would I get the one way valve from? Is that something the local motor factors would sell?

Many thanks for all replies, much appreciated

Yes a local factor will have them on the shelf as they are used in modern cars
Its about 50mm long ,one tail into the valve so rubber from top of tank to the `in` then a rubber on the `out` tail and then to atmosphere. Cost about £3.00
The MK 1/2/3 tanks breathed through the cap and 4/1500 breathed through vent tube

3122 wrote:
You sure about that? My 1500 vents through the cap... US 1500s have the vent tube.

Depends what tank was put in it
If some one fitted a 1/2/3/ tank then they would have had to fitted the cap to suit. Have you got the breather tube on the top of the tank of yours?
If you look at the tank specs on the Rimmer bros site you will see what I mean

I've got the thing on the tank for an external breather, but I was under the impression that UK cars had it blanked off, as mine is.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire1500petroltank.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/spitfire1500.html&category=fuelandexhaust&xsl=diagram.xsl

158554 - that's the plug over what the Americans used as a vented hose thingy whatsit.

3122 wrote:
I've got the thing on the tank for an external breather, but I was under the impression that UK cars had it blanked off, as mine is.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire1500petroltank.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/spitfire1500.html&category=fuelandexhaust&xsl=diagram.xsl

158554 - that's the plug over what the Americans used as a vented hose thingy whatsit.

just like mine , but also with mine the rubber plug was rotten on mine , so a piece of fuel line and a bolt  ;)

• 3 years later...

Hi All

I just got my Spitfire 1979 back from long term storage and there severe work up . She is doing great now besides this really severe smell of gas. You could pass out in my garage. Nothing is leaking on the floor? Do you all think it is my gas cap? Is there a rubber gasket in the gas cap? Perhaps rotted away due to age?

It could be perished rubber in the fuel cap, but my bet would be on perished fuel hoses or overflowing carburettor float chambers. I'd recommend replacing all the fuel hoses with ethanol-resistant hose (I think the spec is R9), check all the hose clamps are tight, make sure the fuel pump isn't leaking and see whether there's fuel on the carburettor's overflow vent pipes, if it has them.

On UK models, tank venting  is via cap diaphragm seal

The tank vent is just blanked off with this  blind ended rubber seal- which perishes and   gives rise to the petrol in cabin smell.

The best answer? =  Go to plumber's merchant or B& Q and buy a microbore  central heating stop-end (8mm compression fitting)
Fits in seconds  and it  looks like it's  an original part-rather than bolt in tube etc

"Fit and Forget"

my two cents worth.

I would first look to see if I had a vented cap,

you could have a non vented cap but its letting in air via the cap seal.

either way, take the cap off and blow in the funnel to see if it breaths

DONT GUESS,

I non vented petrol cap that has its tank breather plugged up is not a good idea,

the one way valve will pressuerise the tank (as had been said) if your tank does not have a vented filler cap.

if it does have the vented filler cap, you dont have the need for the one way valve, waist of money, just plug the tank breather.

to conclude, its not rocket science, just take off the filler cap, test it and act accordingly