AMSQ3D

If the engine originally ran with PI , would fitting a SU HS6 setup be a problem with cam, cylinder head , distributor. Probably guessed, I am new to Triumph engines, at present, I have 4 to choose from, 1600,2000 and two 2,5's. The 2.5 has a gearbox and overdrive, so does the 1600. The car is based on a vitesse chasiss and is rolling,

The answer is no problem, esp. as the 2500 came with both SUs or Pi at various times and models.  You'd need to fit the dizzie from a non-Pi, unless you want to keep the rendundant metering unit there.  And one 2.5 has an O/drive?  Which gerabox?  The 2500 'box is much bigger and needs some fettlign to fit it between the chassis rails, but it can and has been done.  See BinMan's SuperSix: http://www.supersix.50megs.com/

And the 2500 sump won't fit the Vitesse chassis - the 'step' is too far forward.  A 2000 sump with bulges beaten in the clear big ends 1 & 2, with a valley between the clear the steering rack, works fine.

Why not Pi?    There's usually another 10bhp to be got over even HS6s, and consumptuion need not be bad.  Malcolm Jones at Prestige (http://www.prestigeinjection.fsnet.co.uk/) is your man for advice and parts.

Best of luck!
Happy New Year!
John

AMSQ3D,
Vaguely bad form to double post - see: http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/blah/Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1167136639
It just wastes everyone's time and goodwill if people offer you advice that is duplicated elsewhere.  Try not to do it.  We're all here to help.  Give it a day or so if you don't a response at first  - we're not all online all the time!

John

I've got a 2.5 sump in my Vitesse. The step is snug behind the chassis, but does clear. I fitted 6mm spacers under the engine mounts to lift the engine enough for the sump to just clear the steering rack. This leaves about 3mm between the front HS6 and the bonnet. No dents due to rocking yet!

Hope everyone has a great Christmas.

Glen.

Glad you've fettled it, Fb.
My old Vitesse needed a tiny front carb bulge with HS6s and a 2500 manifold, and that was after trying to get the engine as LOW as possible! 

Keep an eye on that step - the cross member has quite a sharp back edge, that could wear a hole quickly if it began to contact the sump.

John

Hi John

My manifold isn't angled like a big saloon one, so I get a bit more clearance. I've no idea what car it came from and would love to find out. Definately Triumph as it has "Standard" cast into it. Also pretty sure it's designed to take HS6s rather than adapted. TR250 perhaps?

The attached doesn't show a lot, but may help.

I can't tell from that angle, but it may well be an inlet from a TR6 carburettor, the 2500S inlet has a longer reach than the earlier SU/Stromberg manifold.

As I've posted before you can get the S inlet manifold machined so that the carburettors are horizontal in a GT6/Vitesse installation. The 2500S engine in a Saloon is installed at 7 degrees to vertical to avoid the battery.

Quoted from JohnD You'd need to fit the dizzie from a non-Pi, unless you want to keep the rendundant metering unit there. 

Hi, just a note, I wouldn't leave the PI metering unit attached to the engine if your using carbs as the petrol that normally runs through it to the injectors lubricates the internal rotating parts of the PI metering unit.

I have HS6s from a Dolly Sprint on my GT6, these are fitted to a GT6 inlet manifold that uses those awful TriumphTune adaptor plates, the manifold has been flowed to match the adap. plate. Its a bugger to get a gas tight seal.

The other problem is fitting a throttle cable- I use a Spit 1500 cable (and mk3 Spit throttle pedal) that passes through a bracket secured by the servo take off on the manifold.

Tim did you open out the ports when you fitted the ToiletTune adapters?

If you don't blend the ports to the adapters it runs really rough on pickup (i know, I did it). :)

I also had an air leak where the adapters did not seal to the inlet correctly, this was due to the 5/16 holes being slightly out of position (this was on my old 2 litre Mk IV Spitfire).

Archived