SU HIF38 carbs for GT6

FREDGT6

I have 3 HIF38's fitted on my go-faster GT6. Very reliable carb and certainly the best engineered of all the SU's, by some margin.
IIRC you may struggle to readily find a handed pair, they were usually fitted to little Metro's etc. They are very relaible in use and can easily be rebuilt at home(provided the throttle spindle bushes arn't too worn).
Working the choke off 1 carb alone is easily possibly- my 3 RH carbs only have 2 connected to the choke and when 1 of those lost the conencting screw(my fault), the car was still very eager to start only using 1 choke.
People seem to focus negatively on the HIF bimetalic strip causing issues with wandering tickover but that's not something I have a probelm with and I get loads of heat off my exhaust onto my carbs.
I think they're lovely!  :)

A colleague at work has a Mk3 with HIF38s (I think, but might be HIF4). I've not been able to have a good look as it's not his everyday car but from what he says it sounds like he has set-up problems. Might just be out of adjustment but I would be interested to see photos of anyone's installation or know what needles people have, what donor car/carb spec etc.
Cheers
Van

Fred- here is a basic overview. I did connect the crankcase breather as compared to what he says as it made a massive calming effect on the engine running with it connected (try running your engine now with it blanked off)

http://www.minimania.com/article/762/SU_CARBS_-_Connection__HIF_type

Why do you want to fit the SU HIF carbs? My car is far from standard and it made sense to go through all the expense and phaff of needle/spring selection etc. If your car is largely standard, then the Strombergs are excellent carbs, very reliable and your efforts would be best spent on looking at getting them reconditioned/renewed.  :)

Thank you for your comments.
I don't know but the diagram doesn't appear in the following link http://www.minimania.com/article/762/SU_CARBS_-_Connection__HIF_type. Is it same for you?

Anyway, I 've read some posts of GT6 owners regarding the driving improvement by replacing the stromberg by SU HIF. Actually I am happy with my strombergs, except when my engine is cold, I need to adjust the starter with careful to keep a correct mixture. My car is standard, so... may you're right.
Regarding the clearance under the bonnet,  I found this cap:
http://www.7ent.com/products/dashpot-damper-cap-cud2904.html
otherwise the easiest solution is to file the cap.

GT6boy, may I ask you what is the ral code of your grey paint?

I had 2 x HIF4s on my Vitesse for several years before going to injection and they certainly worked better than the worn out CD150s I had before.  Note the worn out part - there is nothing wrong with the Strombergs if in decent condition.

The HIF4s are the early, imperial HIFs and mine came from a 1500 Allegro (!) as a matched pair.  Needles and springs were changed to suit a Triumph 2L (needles and springs are interchangeable with HS series SUs)

HIF 38s are the 1.5" / CD150 equivalent and will be adequate for a standard engine.  You could go up to HIF44s for more flow on a modified engine.  Either way some fettling & adaption will be needed to get them on a standard manifold.  

Bruces' point about dashpot height and bonnet clearance is valid for the GT6.  Wasn't a problem on my Vitesse.  For HIF6 / 44 you can use the shorter Dolly Sprint ones.  Not sure if there are any natural donors for the the smaller ones or whether you need to get them machined down.  You probably only need the front one doing.

I still have the HIF4s on a manifold.

Nick

My car is a Rover silver- sorry, I don't know the code.
The HIF38 are fitted with the even taller dashpot dampers which allow even further upward travel of the piston. Do your crabs have an ID tag on them. You certainly shouldn't fit shorter despot piston.
In your situation, I wouldnt go to the trouble and effort to fit HIF38 crabs over the perfectly well engineered and reliable Strombergs.

Please excuse appalling spelling- most of my entries here are on my phone and it is a right royal pain in the arse to use.
I see no value at all in fitting HIF38's to a standard GT6. I suspect they will be way too tall, you will have to make up a specific throttle linkage(not difficult in itself), the accelerator cable linkage will require reworking and that's what springs to mind immediately.
Strombergs are lovely carbs and are unfairly much maligned on ocassion by those who are too tight to get them reconditioned properly, after 40 years+ service!  ;)

GT6boy wrote:
Please excuse appalling spelling- most of my entries here are on my phone and it is a right royal pain in the arse to use.
I see no value at all in fitting HIF38's to a standard GT6. I suspect they will be way too tall, you will have to make up a specific throttle linkage(not difficult in itself), the accelerator cable linkage will require reworking and that's what springs to mind immediately.
Strombergs are lovely carbs and are unfairly much maligned on ocassion by those who are too tight to get them reconditioned properly, after 40 years+ service!  ;)

+++++

If those are the original Strombergs on your GT6 Mk1, they're the nice ones with the adjustable jets for setting the mixture.
They're very nice because you don't have to have a special tool for setting the mixture, & there are no additional emissions mechanisms on the carbs.
From what I understand, the particular problems are mostly just with the plastic joints connecting the carbs.