Steering Wheel Removal

AWESOME HERALD MAN

I don't know why the steering wheel needs to come off, but it might not be the only way to do it. The nut on mine has always been seized tight, but I got round it once by simply undoing the impact clamp at the bottom of of the inner column and lifting it out complete with the wheel. May need to drop the outer column a little in a saloon, I forget now. Have fun... 🙂

Mike, I'd be loath to use a hammer. Aren't the steering wheels made of bakelite? It isn't the sort of thing I'd want to be hitting with a hammer even with gentle taps. I reckon a rubber mallet would be better than a hammer to get the steering wheel off even if you follow Clive's method to the letter.

Thanks for your advice, especially on allowing me to keep on smiling with all my teeth in tact. The reason that I want to remove the wheel is 1- there is a crack in one of the arms and 2- I want to put on a wooden one. I've got the one I liked on eBay and if anyone would like to have a peep the item number is 331396865739 and is sold by Watford Classics and it comes complete with the boss with a Triumph Badged horn push for £129.95 and free post. I've got the dark wood one to go as near as possible to the new dashboard I'm going to make upgrading the original one which I've already upgraded with extra clocks but this will have new and more switches. The ones I've got have a rely built in them for better use and saftey. I couldn't find anywhere the type of wood the dashboard is made of until I was in my local Homebase store and leaving from the tool section, I walked through the flooring area. There I saw the wood grained flooring panels, picked out the dark one, up to check out, and £4.99 please, perfect. So I can work on that after the car's running, very soon.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Quoted from ferny
Be careful if you're going to use laminated flooring in the car and seal all the exposed areas. If it gets damp it's going to swell and if it's a Triumph, you can guarantee it's going to get moist.

Absolutely. Some properly waterproof coating all over is going to be essential. Be careful as many varnishes are water based these days and despite the claims of the manufacturers aren't going to last well in this application. Look for something with middling to high VOC content that tells you to clean your brush with white spirit, or alternatively an epoxy type product - but you're not likely to find that sort of stuff in the average DIY shed.

Thanks about the advice on the flooring. I'll get sorted out. About the shagging pile carpet, I've got that sorted. Some kind neighbour had their flat re-carpeted and through out of course the old one. This happens to be a lovely shade of green. The old carpet I think is light brown, but now dirty and worn, so a full carpet replacement is coming, I can't say when, but it's coming. I've new windscreen rubber to have fitted first before the above is down, and I'm going to get the rear done at the same time.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Marcus has a nice green shagging pile in his gt6! (Actually looks very good) ????

If you get the chance (perhaps you have already been) but the triumph spares day, stonleigh in February is a good event to go to for parts, meeting up with others, and looking at owners/members cars.

Quoted from Saltddirk
not much different from what it looks like now, Grey green and rust......
Blends in very well with industrial surrounding

I have Hydrangea shrubs in my front garden, next to where we park the Triumphs, they can change colour from pink to blue dependant on how much iron there is in the soil.......says so much for rust coming off bodywork into the ground when it rains

• admin changed the title to Steering Wheel Removal