Will a Mk1 GT6 steering wheel fit other models?

Mark E

I have a Moto-Lita wood rim wheel and boss that was fitted to my '67 Mk1 when I bought it.  Does anyone know what other models (if any) this boss will fit?  

Debating whether to just sell the wheel on it's own or sell as a job lot with the boss (which is probably worth bugger all without the wheel...?).

Thanks in advance

Quoted from Mark E
I have a Moto-Lita wood rim wheel and boss that was fitted to my '67 Mk1 when I bought it.  Does anyone know what other models (if any) this boss will fit?  

Debating whether to just sell the wheel on it's own or sell as a job lot with the boss (which is probably worth bugger all without the wheel...?).

Thanks in advance

The boss will fit all small chassis Triumphs ie Herald, Vitesse, Spitfire, GT6 also Bond Equipe.
It will also fit cars fitted with the Triumph steering column and from memory that will be early Lotus Elan and Marcos. Probably fit loads of kit cars from the 70's and 80s too 🙂

I've just fitted a Mota-Lita leather rimmed wheel I bought back in 1980s to my GT6 Mk2. To get the horn working I bought the Mota-Lita horn contact which is much better than the Triumph pencil 🙂

I'm sure you can sell it, but I've found that aftermarket steering wheels do not hold value at all. I've bought and sold various Astralli, Moto-Lita and Momo wheels etc over the years as and when I've felt a change needed (arthritis in my right hand means it can take a while to find a comfortable steering wheel). I've never bought new, and usually paid between £10 and £30 depending on the wheel, and then sold it for similar money if I didn't like it.

There is one wheel worth a lot, which was (from memory) an optional extra fitted to Herald for a short time;

Looks in nice condition Mark,

I'm sure it will sell if the price is right.

If you have an ebay account I suggest you check out the sold listings for Steering wheels over the last few months and check out actual sold rather than listed price of wood rim Motolitas that did sell. You probably don't need to be pickey about it being  triumph one but it will give you a good guide of what they actually sell for so you ask an ammount that will sell but make a decent price.

Gut feel in that condition I'd have thought you ought to be able to get at least 50 quid for it, brand new they are available for anything from £99 (listed by a Mini dealer c/w boss for a mini) to a couple of hundred, seems to be a lot of variation in price depending where you buy them!

The correct original wheel for the Mk I GT6 was the Formula five hole Leather bound wheel, however the wood rim Formula wheel as pictured above was an option on the Mk I, if you want originality that is the choice. Most people find them a bit big and replace with another wheel, however best to keep your original just in case you sell the car so it can go with it. I have a formula wood rim in lovely condition with horn push, not yet fitted so who knows I may end up finding it to big, paid £250, both types make good money. 🙂

I switched to the formula wheel from the Moto-Lita and really like it, it is a bit bigger but I don't find it a problem

Thanks for the comments Cookie, useful to get a view on price, I'll bring it to Santapod but might stick it on the classifieds here too